Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handguard for use with aiming devises

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Handguard for use with aiming devises

Not sure if this is best within GD or a sub forum, as my question directly relates to night vision.

I’ve got a Saker K in jail and plan to pin/weld to a short barrel. Thus... A handguard choice becomes essentially permanent as well.

My plan is that this would be be the upper on which I eventually mount night vision paraphernalia.

What are the best options for this, but also, which are no-go’s?

Desired: M-LOK, as close to 11” as possible, moderate pricing (I’m fine purchasing used)

LaRue seems solid for an outstanding price, but also heavy slightly reduced top rail space.

Centurion are my favorite handguards for other situations, but will it be stiff and durable enough in 10.5” guise?

SOLGW Exo2 seems like a great price from a respected brand, but I’m not familiar with mounting system, nor can I find many reviews.

Troy has an 11” option in the original MLOK BattleRail. I also really like their SOCC in 12.5” that I have. But is the GI barrel nut the ideal mounting solution for aiming devices?

ALG’s EMR V3 is 10”, so not as long as I would prefer for this. However, the barrel nut seems huge. Has anyone experienced a downside or see a possible downside to using the EMR V3 in this situation?

BCM is always an option, but I’ve read on here specifically about flex.

Geissele tends to be out of the range of what I’m willing to pay, and they seem perhaps a bit overbuilt. I know. I say this while also saying I’m looking at night vision. So it’s not off the table, but I would prefer to find solid alternatives besides LaRue.

Edit to add:

Stealth 2.0 upper/handguard also looks interesting. Would prefer to build this in an existing upper I have, but that is not necessary.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 11-08-19 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    URX 4 would be a really good option. It’s available in 10.75” and the integrated barrel nut design is rock solid.

Subjectively expensive, but it’s a lifetime investment, so you can either do it right or do it again.

Currently, I have a 13” MCMR that wears a PEQ-15. I’m still making hits on steel out to 300 and have not noticed a shift when conducting cowitness PCIs with my day optic, so while hardly scientific, it will work just fine for your purposes if you went down that road.
    Last edited by GTF425; 11-08-19 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Geissele tends to be out of the range of what I’m willing to pay, and they seem perhaps a bit overbuilt. I know. I say this while also saying I’m looking at night vision. So it’s not off the table, but I would prefer to find solid alternatives besides LaRue.
    They are 25% off at Primary Arms for Veterans Day and Black Friday is coming up.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    URX 4 would be a really good option. It’s available in 10.75” and the integrated barrel nut design is rock solid.
    That’s hugely heavy, if Brownells is accurate: 21.6 oz

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    That’s hugely heavy, if Brownells is accurate: 21.6 oz

The KAC URX4 10.75” long handguard weighs 10.2 oz’s

https://www.knightarmco.com/13963/sh...k-10-75-length
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-08-19 at 13:30.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    double tap --- see below
    Last edited by alx01; 11-08-19 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

Subjectively expensive, but it’s a lifetime investment, so you can either do it right or do it again.
    This.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Centurion makes a great rail. Highly recommend. I have two of them and they are as solid as other high quality rails.
    Don't know about can diameter, but you might consider a thicker rail like Aero where a handguard can be fitted over the can. At least that would allow a rail change if it becomes damaged during use.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Thank you for checking that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Which Centurion rail were you looking at?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast