Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Stage Trigger Recommendations

Feedback Score

Single Stage Trigger Recommendations

I'm finishing up a HD build & just haven't figured out what trigger to put in it yet. Normally I've standardized on Triggertech or LaRue MBTs, but I've decided I'd like a nice single stage for this setup.

Since it has a quality barrel (16 inch Lothar Walther chrome lined, medium contour 1:8 twist) & I realize the odds of only using it at the range are orders of magnitude greater than ever actually needing it for SD, I'd like it to be a clean, crisp trigger I actually enjoy.

Right now I'm going back and forth between an Elftmann SE flat trigger or a Failzero flat trigger (Nickel Boron coated & rebranded Rise Armament), but I am open to other suggestions.

Parameters:
    3-4lb break.
    Strong reset.
    If it's a cassette type drop in it must have some method of being secured in place. Set screws, rubber bumpers like POF triggers, springs like the Wilson Combat, whatever. The little bit of play in CMC units drives my OCD nuts.
    No Hiperfire. Just don't care for them.
    I realize Geissele is the gold standard. Love their charging handles. Don't care for their triggers (my wife loves them, though).
    I'd just go with the new LaRue single stage but it's a bit heavier than I'm looking for.

Oh, and nothing adjustable. Adjustable to me means more parts that could conceivably malfunction.

No lectures about the propriety of a light single stage trigger for home defense. I know. Like I said, the odds of actually needing it for such are minuscule.
    Last edited by js8588; 11-08-19 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My LaRue MBT-1S is smooth. I had to put the heavier spring in mine in order to get some use out of it, just was too light with the spring it shipped with.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I have a bias towards the Geissele SD-C (love the flat bow trigger), but I've always wondered what a good single-action trigger would feel like. I'm accustomed to taking up the slack for an aimed shot with the Geisseles. Wonder if a SA would be too "quick" to trip, i.e. go off before you want it to.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have a bias towards the Geissele SD-C (love the flat bow trigger), but I've always wondered what a good single-action trigger would feel like. I'm accustomed to taking up the slack for an aimed shot with the Geisseles. Wonder if a SA would be too "quick" to trip, i.e. go off before you want it to.
    I fully recognize Geissele is a great trigger. Super nice staff too. Their HQ is about 25 minutes from my place of employment. The "carrot like" break of their triggers just don't do it for me. I like a crisp "icicle" break. That I can be so picky is one of the blessings of "coming of age" in the post ban world.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Velocity 4lb drop in. Ive had it on my LMT carbine for years now...love the dang thing. Very well made, I checked the screws for the first time since installation a couple months ago..as tight as the day I installed it.
    Also have a 3lb Velocity on a 20" precision rifle in process of being built...its very nice too.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    I fully recognize Geissele is a great trigger. Super nice staff too. Their HQ is about 25 minutes from my place of employment. The "carrot like" break of their triggers just don't do it for me. I like a crisp "icicle" break. That I can be so picky is one of the blessings of "coming of age" in the post ban world.
    Rob Leatham or Kyle Lamb I'm not, so you may be a much better shooter than I am (if you have a pulse you probably are!). I was just wondering that if you were trying to engage multiple targets and time was of the essence would a SA be the shiznit?

For something like a SA to work for me in a quick-shooting scenario it would have to be more carrot-like than an icicle, maybe somewhere in-between. YMMV.

I'd still like to try one though before I drop $$$ on one.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I’ve had a 3lb Timney SS skelotonized trigger in a 16” for years. It really shines when shooting unsupported. I Like it so much that Timney is the first brand I look into when upgrading the trigger in my bolt guns.

Trigger pad feels almost identical to the Larue MBT 2s.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I realize Geissele is the gold standard. Love their charging handles. Don't care for their triggers (my wife loves them, though).
    I fully recognize Geissele is a great trigger. Super nice staff too. Their HQ is about 25 minutes from my place of employment. The "carrot like" break of their triggers just don't do it for me. I like a crisp "icicle" break. .
    Have you tried their SSP?
    https://geissele.com/ssp-m4-curved-bow.html
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Single Stage Trigger Recommendations

LaRue makes an MBT-1S, and it’s a single stage trigger priced the same as the MBT-2S, $87 bucks. I have or two and it’s a solid single stage trigger.
    Other HD level triggers I have used are Hyperfire’s. Gunner (4.5-5.0 LB) Everything else I’ve tried was just too light of a trigger. On the MBT, I have the SS straight bow and I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 11-08-19 at 23:59.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    A $240 trigger in an AR? I don’t care if it breaks like a chicken wing. The day I need a $240 trigger to get sub MOA groups (and I don’t) is the day I need to sell every single AR I own and go to shooting wrist rockets and ball bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast