Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found my dad's Ka-Bar at my mom's house.

Feedback Score

Found my dad's Ka-Bar at my mom's house.

Wish I had discovered it sooner, before the rust started. Here's some pictures and hopefully some advice to help with the moderate rust.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I guess Ka-Bar knives are not that interesting. I thought this one be.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcc View Post
    I guess Ka-Bar knives are not that interesting. I thought this one be.

I think they're interesting when they'd been used by someone in war and have an interesting story attached to them like "my dad carried this Kabar while island hopping in the South Pacific during WWII." That's always interesting to people here. As reproduction in a box that any of us can purchase, not so much is my guess. Was he in the mil? Did he carry a KBar? Why does he have a K Bar in a box? On their own, there's really nothing special nor interesting about a basic KBar knife per se
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-02-19 at 13:37.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I think they're interesting when they'd been used by someone in war and have an interesting story attached to them like "my dad carried this Kabar while island hopping in the South Pacific during WWII." That's always interesting to people here. As reproduction in a box that any of us can purchase, not so much is my guess. Was he in the mil? Did he carry a KBar? Why does he have a K Bar in a box? On their own, there's really nothing special nor interesting about a basic KBar knife per se
    He was a Marine in Vietnam, had some combat but was spared from injury. I'm not sure if he carried a Ka-Bar, but it was definitely not this one.

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    I think 50% water and 50% vinegar will remove rust on metal but you may want to Google it or double check that but some kind a vinegar solution removes rust .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcc View Post
    He was a Marine in Vietnam, had some combat but was spared from injury. I'm not sure if he carried a Ka-Bar, but it was definitely not this one.

That back story would have helped, but I'd say that Kbar is probably most interesting to you and had important meaning for him. Anniversary KBars in nice boxes and such are of course a common item. That your father owned it is was gives it meaning and value.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hickuleas View Post
    I think 50% water and 50% vinegar will remove rust on metal but you may want to Google it or double check that but some kind a vinegar solution removes rust .
    Kbars are made of what, 1095?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That back story would have helped, but I'd say that Kbar is probably most interesting to you and had important meaning for him. Anniversary KBars in nice boxes and such are of course a common item. That your father owned it is was gives it meaning and value.
    It does, thanks. He actually sprained an ankle while not in combat, but refused the Purple Heart. He was sent home, my first memory of him was on crutches. He was sent back for another tour. I've been trying to research, and this series of Ka-Bars seem to have some collector interest. If I'm not confusing it with something else. Some of the information I found on Bladeforum.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    CLP and elbow grease can remove rust as well. Not sure about the finish coming off the knife, 000 steel wool and CLP for the tough stuff.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I find it interesting. My dad carried a Ka-Bar for much of his career as a Marine, then Ranger, etc. There is nothing special about the knife per se, but it has a wear to it and the way the sheath fits only comes from being carried about for a decade or two of actual field use. I don't have pictures, and I expect he will will retain it his entire life, just like the Marlin 22lr and Mossberg shotgun he has had his entire life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast