Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best laser range finder for 1 mile shots

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Would your scenario be suited to something like a DJI Mavic Mini? It will fly that distance easily and give you readings on distance and altitude. A more robust drone and you probably mount a wind speed meter on top to measure speeds at various distances along the course as well.

You would be looking somewhere in the $500 range for a drone that is using gps for measurement.
    I am a little scared to try and run a drone, but my interest is peaked.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The DJI type stuff basically flies itself. In fact you can program in a course and it will fly it. Generally these fly slow(ish) and safe. You can fly it in short order.

The FPV stuff is another situation. You have to control everything. These are fast ( 100mph + ) and kinda dangerous. You have to learn to fly these.

If you want to watch some vids just go to YT and search DJI Mavic .. .that's their consumer friendly variety of several drones that are easy to fly in a day or weekend.

Then search FPV... those are the guys doing flips, tricks, cinematic fast motion flying inches above the water or inside abandoned buildings. They are hard to learn.

DJI just released the Mavic Mini and everyone is really liking it. I saw one guy fly it out 2.5 miles and back. It's got a 4K camera on a gimbals that you can control. All the flight details are right there on your phone or iPad. I'm not sure of the speed but you are still talking going 30+ mph to your target.

The FPV stuff only flies for a few minutes. The DJI consumer stuff flies for say 20 minutes. On one battery that is. DJI pretty much owns the consumer type flying friendly drone market. The FPV stuff is all pretty much DIY and not suited to your task.

So basically if you looked at DJI and did not see a solution then you could probably just figure sticking with conventional gear.

this is the DJI type situation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8LQtfddABc -- you would want this

This is the FPV type situation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu2Jqvj5YGw -- this takes a lot of time to learn and is more expensive

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Its ridiculous that a 4000 yard unit cant hit a mile with ease regardless of conditions. Yea, I ordered reflective tape off Amazon yesterday.

The bigger your surface area of reflective tape the easier it is to range at greater distances. I’ve ranged 2k yds with my Sig 2200 using the reflective tape but it’s hard to get the range finder stabilized enough when hand held to get a good reading on small surfaces. Using a bigger piece of plywood covered in the reflective tape makes it much easier. Also stabilizing the range finder with a tripod or bracing against a stabile object works well. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.
    Last edited by Lurp; 12-06-19 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You can jury-rig fairly large reflectors using common stuff out of Wallymart or car parts stores:

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Darn tablet!
    Last edited by CRT2; 12-08-19 at 07:35. Reason: Duplicate

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The windshield cover is a good idea but how do you secure it? It's more often than not windy at the spots I shoot at. I have visions of them tumbling through the desert.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Make a wood frame, staple the reflector to the frame (it's not your shooting target, but ranging target for your laser).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Make a wood frame, staple the reflector to the frame (it's not your shooting target, but ranging target for your laser).

Nice rig. I can see people have been struggling with this for some time.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Nice rig. I can see people have been struggling with this for some time.

PB

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Seeing your stand makes realize two things; one I have a similar stand I can use and two, I’m over thinking this. I’m busting out the wife’s Reynolds cooking foil!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast