Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best laser range finder for 1 mile shots

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Yeah, there’s enough going on at mile to work on with wind calling, who needs to go further? I need to get more consistent at 1250 and 1500 anyway.
    I really feel like as soon as you go past 1k, everything gets exponentially more difficult by 100 yard increments. And really so past 1250 ish. The mortar rounds get cra cra.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think we'll start to see coriolis effect playing a part in our hold. Our target is North to South with a slight Westward aim. We had a half mil left hold on wind that seemed to be right at our back.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Interesting you mention Coriolis Mark as I was just reading up on this. Wind in Strelok was off that day I was out so I started looking into it. Turns out it was an error on my part; usually is. At my spot, I am shooting east which causes the round to hit high. Engaging the option to account for Coriolis only changed the come up from 18.3 to 18.1. Not sure what I was expecting but I surprised it was that small an amount.

This was only my second time out shooting at that distance so definitely much to learn. I can see a Kestrel in my future though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I never thought about East/West, that's pretty interesting too. I started thinking about coriolis a year or so back when I noticed the right side of the target stand took more of a beating than the left after years of shooting 1300 yards.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Interesting you mention Coriolis Mark as I was just reading up on this. Wind in Strelok was off that day I was out so I started looking into it. Turns out it was an error on my part; usually is. At my spot, I am shooting east which causes the round to hit high. Engaging the option to account for Coriolis only changed the come up from 18.3 to 18.1. Not sure what I was expecting but I surprised it was that small an amount.

This was only my second time out shooting at that distance so definitely much to learn. I can see a Kestrel in my future though.
    I would have thought more too. Elevation has more impact than the C effect. We are shooting at 1250. On the hide folks usually include elevation with DOPE because Denver is not Phx. And it matters. I shot high over on Elk my first shot at 1300 because I was up in the mountains. I think it was slightly over .5 mil, dialed down and smack.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Most guys these day use DA which literally incorporates everything else, then they factor in temperature to determine their muzzle velocity secondary to powder’s temperature sensitivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Most guys these day use DA which literally incorporates everything else, then they factor in temperature to determine their muzzle velocity secondary to powder’s temperature sensitivity.

Isllc, Pardon my ignorance, what is DA ?

PB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    Density altitude. It is a measure or air thickness...it incorporates pressure, altitude, temp, humidity, etc into one measurement. It originates as a value in aviation, but the same output applies to external ballistics.

It can be the ONE value of concern for the shooter to encompass all variables exerting force on the bullet, given you know muzzle velocity and accurate BC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    Density altitude. It is a measure or air thickness...it incorporates pressure, altitude, temp, humidity, etc into one measurement. It originates as a value in aviation, but the same output applies to external ballistics.

It can be the ONE value of concern for the shooter to encompass all variables exerting force on the bullet, given you know muzzle velocity and accurate BC.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post

Very cool, where do get the info? Is it readily available?

PB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast