View Poll Results: Which configuration would you choose?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11.5" Carbine

31 54.39%
  • 12.5" Mid-length

26 45.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.5" Carbine vs. 12.5" Mid-length Unsuppressed

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

11.5" Carbine vs. 12.5" Mid-length Unsuppressed

I'm trying to make up my mind which setup to go with. Assuming equal quality components and running primarily unsuppressed which would you go with and why?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    It seems like the 12.5” is not as developed a system. People used to say that about 14.5” midlength, too, of course.

I’m curious about BRT’s possibly EXC for a 12.5” barrel.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'm trying to make up my mind which setup to go with. Assuming equal quality components and running primarily unsuppressed which would you go with and why?
    12.5 any day.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    12.5 carbine gas. IIRC from Colt M4 testing the optimal barrel length for carbine gas was 13", the reason for going 14.5 was for bayonet mounting.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I voted 11.5" carbine gas because that's what I have experience with. I've never owned a 12.5" mid length.

I have an over gassed 16" PSA mid length CHF barrel that is just sitting in a box, I'm thinking of chopping it to 12.5" and seeing if it will still run reliably with that blown out PSA gas port.

Feedback Score
    Why not 12.5 carbine length? I would go with 11.5 between the 2 options you listed because I know it works. A 12.5 carbine will run well too

I haven't done any shooting with a 12.5 middy but mostly what I read is it is usually in a suppressed set up.

Centurion now offers a 12.5 middy and that would be the first place I looked. Not sure about port sizing etc, but BRT would probably have that figured out of they offer that configuration

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Why not 12.5 carbine length? I would go with 11.5 between the 2 options you listed because I know it works. A 12.5 carbine will run well too

I haven't done any shooting with a 12.5 middy but mostly what I read is it is usually in a suppressed set up.

Centurion now offers a 12.5 middy and that would be the first place I looked. Not sure about port sizing etc, but BRT would probably have that figured out of they offer that configuration
    You've nailed my dilemma. I've had a BCM Kino and that may up being it again. The Centurion middy is the barrel I'm looking at.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I know you didn't ask about this length but, 13.7>>>-------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxC07B2jYY

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    OOPS! OH Well
    Quote Originally Posted by RVTMaverick View Post
    I know you didn't ask about this length but, 13.7>>>-------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxC07B2jYY
    PLUS>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5f8AUQBaXI
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I would not go 12.5” mid unless I was going to run primary suppressed. 11.5” carbine gas is a good gas system length to barrel length ratio prioritizing less overall length, especially if shooting primarily unsuppressed. 11.5 carbine mainly unsuppressed port size should be about 0.070-0.073”
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 11-12-19 at 13:38.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast