View Poll Results: Which configuration would you choose?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11.5" Carbine

31 54.39%
  • 12.5" Mid-length

26 45.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.5" Carbine vs. 12.5" Mid-length Unsuppressed

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For what it's worth I tried this before it was derailed by a vendor pushing his own wares …

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...put&highlight=

The gist seemed to be the 12.5 mid is pretty mild shooter once dialed in and, in the realm of compromises, doesn't give up too much in any particular direction. Longer and handling/weight start to be a con, shorter and recoil/gas become areas of concern.

I have one now, a Faxon 12.5 I got on trade, and it is not my favorite. My intent was to step into the Centurion, but …

Honestly, my only dig on the 12.5 overall as a platform is none of *my* preferred handguard makers (BCM, KAC, Geissele, DD) have an optimal length (11.5 ish) … I like it as far out as it can go.

My dilemma came to an impasse and I ordered a Sionics 111.5 RGP as suppressed was a high factor and it should be here this week… The Centurion mid will be my next and I'll probably put a Larue LAT 11" or URX4 10.75" on it (or not as there was a ton of gushing over the Sionics and maybe it will be my Nirvana).

TLDR; Suppressed 11.5, Un-suppressed 12.5. YMMV.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    For a do all rifle I would do 12.5 but with carbine gas. If it must be between a 12.5 mid length gas I would the 11.5 route.

Feedback Score
    12.5" middies need jenna sized ports to run as smooth and reliably as a good 11.5" carbine. Go 11.5" and dont look back unless you want a Kino config which isnt really a middy.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a good comparison done by Garand Thumb. Pretty interesting! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxwi9fAe4s8

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sdacbob View Post
    Here is a good comparison done by Garand Thumb. Pretty interesting! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxwi9fAe4s8
    I think this is pretty solid.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdacbob View Post
    He's talking about a 12.5" carbine upper rather than a middy. Good basic info though.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Finally found the reference to a very good previous discussion on the 12.5" MID configuration.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...arrel-Feedback

Here are a couple highlights from some very experienced members.

Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    I would tend not to use a mid length gas 5.56 11.5" without a can, but it would need dedicated porting for that.
    To get one to run fairly reliably without a can, you're talking about a fairly large gas port.
    If you add a can to that large port, you are aggressively over gassed, more than what you can control easily with buffer swaps.
    The port size for dedicated suppressed is much smaller, there really isn't any overlap between the two.
    If you are setting it up for use without a can only, you can run into issues much faster in cyclic rate than with a more conventional carbine length gas system.
    Just seems to add too many issues for my taste unless it's suppressed only with dedicated porting for that.

The 12.5" mid length gas 5.56 fares only a little better than its 11.5" counterpart, still not really a good place to be for function.
    You really don't begin to get into an good overlap in function until you stretch out the barrel to about 13.5" for the mid gas.
    With a 13.5" 5.56 mid length gas with proper porting, you can handle a can well with a simple buffer swap.
    I have not yet found an existing 13.5" mid gas barrel with porting that I prefer.
    To get them where I want them, I normally just cut down a longer barrel, like a 16" mid length gas barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It will have to be ported aggressively to run without a can and likely over gassed worse than a carbine gas 12.5".
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I would question the OP as to what gain you think possible with a midlength gas system on a 12.5", as opposed to a carbine length system?
    There are a bunch of companies making things because items are different, but not always because there is a gain or improvement.
    I'm not going to cry about it, and I understand the concept of lengthening the tube to smooth things out overall, but I know that my 12.5s use a carbine gas system, and will continue to do so.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    The 12.5" barrel is, in my opinion, the best overall length and it should become the standard. I don't know why it's still a bit of a unicorn. It's a great compromise of the maneuverability of the 11.5 and the velocity of the 14.5.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    The 12.5" barrel is, in my opinion, the best overall length and it should become the standard. I don't know why it's still a bit of a unicorn.
    I’ve actually put a lot of thought into this over the years. I think the reason has to do with the legacy handguard lengths.

10.x” barrels are popular because of the MK18, being the shortest you can go with a FSB, and stayed popular because its the shortest barrel that will work with a free float ~9” “midlength”.

But, people have had mixed experience with reliability with 10.5” barrels. And we’re really getting into the margins of terminal performance here. BCM, Colt, KAC, and Sionics had the half century old cure: just a little longer. 11.5”. Since this is the shortest barrel length that can function properly with a wide range of ammo and a reasonable gas port, it has exploded in popularity, alongside pistol braces. Therefore, everybody and their brother makes 10”-10.75” handguards, so the 11.5” is pretty much locked in as a popular and widely available option.

13.5-13.7” developed a cult following because its as short as you can go with a rifle length free float, and retains good velocity also. Because rifle length free floats aren’t going away, 13.x” barrels also won’t go away.

14.5” is popular due to .mil association, and pin/weld reasons. So, of course, when the handguard all the way to the muzzle fad came along, everyone made ~13” rails for the 14.5” barrels. The legacy 12.25” rifle length handguards work well, also.

16” is super common due to NFA, so 14.5-15” handguards became widely available at the same time the handguard-to-muzzle and c-clamp hold fad hit the interwebz.

TL;DR? The 12.3 and 12.5 barrels exist in a nether region between 11.5 and 13.5, despite being an awesome barrel length that is compact, but compromises very little in velocity. Most handguards suitable for the 12.5” barrels are really made for 11.5” guns, but they work just fine. I’ve got one in a KAC 10.75 URX4 and another in a SLR 11.7.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I was disappointed when ALG discontinued their 12” handguards. I missed out on buying one on clearance. Seemed like the perfect length for a 12.5” barrel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast