Thread: pro's and cons of each prone position (also missing 2/3 right pectoral from cancer)

Feedback Score

pro's and cons of each prone position (also missing 2/3 right pectoral from cancer)

What are the pro's and con's of putting your feet strait back vs. bending one leg when shooting prone, what are the advantages of one over the other. I'm a bit chubby and has 2/3rds my right pectoral removed due to cancer. Or am I over estimating the prone position and getting good at prone is simply a matter of practice. I can shoot well up close and with some speed but I never really have practiced shooting prone.
    Last edited by dean2007; 11-08-19 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2007 View Post
    What are the pro's and con's of putting your feet strait back vs. bending one leg when shooting prone, what are the advantages of one over the other. I'm a bit chubby and has 2/3rds my right pectoral removed due to cancer. Or am I over estimating the prone position and getting good at prone is simply a matter of practice. I can shoot well up close and with some speed but I never really have practiced shooting prone.
    If you are even the least little bit rotund, the bent leg position will probably be your best bet, as it helps take the pressure off your belly/diaphragm and allows for better breathe control.

Google is your friend for a lot of the questions you've been asking, for example this pretty good little article about prone was one of the first results when I googled prone shooting position:

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...ting-position/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    does shooting with the bent leg cause muscle fatigue

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is something you can find out for yourself, in the comfort of your living room, while watching TV.

You can also try with both legs straight, to see if that works better FOR YOU.

What works for me, doesn't mean shit to anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    EVERY position will cause muscle fatigue if you do it enough...
    For example;
    I went to Appleseed years ago. We shot from all traditional shooting positions- standing, kneeling, prone (leg cocked w/ loop sling). I felt fine during the classes, but oh boy the next day... yes I was sore, and in places I never expected muscle fatigue to occur.
    However, we spent ALL DAY for 2 days shooting in these positions, and I'm not in great shape...
    So, YMMV on the definition of "fatigue" based on your fitness level and how long you spend doing something...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I found for me that as our sniping evolved into larger calibers than 7.62 NATO, I had to leave behind the bent leg prone. I could deal with recoil better with straight legs.

Get down on the floor with your rifle and dry fire at least 3 times a week, it helps a lot.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You'll do better with whatever you practice the most. A little belly might mean you're in a higher chest position that very flat prone.

That said, generally speaking your feet straight back with your heels down on the ground to the inside with your spine parallel to the gun would be more accurate.

As I spend most of my time shooting and competing precision rifle, nobody shoots "little green army man" style anymore. Less body weight behind the gun, pulls to one side, etc.

also depends on your gun itself, running a 40rd mag might affect whether you can even get your gun vertical

I don't know your specific ergonomics to your body, but it should be in the pocket of your shoulder and NOT on the pectoral muscle itself

learn more technique in shooting slow and prone and you'll likely see your groups shrink to less than 1/2 their current size with NO equipment upgrades. match ammo will help you get the most out of your grouping as well

PM me if you have further questions.

Feedback Score
    Shooting prone the biggest thing to me is head height. Keeping your neck and head in positions to not be straining either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk