Thread: Free space in rifle buffer

Feedback Score

Free space in rifle buffer

Rumor seems to have it that rifle length buffer (for a2 stock) should have 5 weights and whatever spacers. While making a heavier buffer out of a no name, encountered 1 long steel weight, 2 rubber discs, and a plastic spacer inside. Replaced plastic with 2 tungsten and a disc, and rifle seems to run fine, but I can't help but wonder what specs are for free space and it's effect on timing of bolt unlock. Humbly submitted and thanks.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Rumor seems to have it that rifle length buffer (for a2 stock) should have 5 weights and whatever spacers. While making a heavier buffer out of a no name, encountered 1 long steel weight, 2 rubber discs, and a plastic spacer inside. Replaced plastic with 2 tungsten and a disc, and rifle seems to run fine, but I can't help but wonder what specs are for free space and it's effect on timing of bolt unlock. Humbly submitted and thanks.
    The rifle buffer has a hole 5.323 +/- .005" deep

The buffer weights are 0.613 +/- .003" long

The disc is 0.071 +/- .005" thick

The spacer is 1.300 +/- .005" long

The bumper intrudes into the buffer .473 +/- .005"

There are 5 buffer weights, 5 discs, 1 spacer, and one bumper

Minimum space = 0.075"
    Maximum space = 0.185"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The spacer is 1.300 +/- .005" long
    I ordered an extra rifle buffer (don't remember vendor) to build an R7 heavy buffer. It didn't have the aluminum spacer, instead the bore of the buffer was shorter, and the base of the buffer 'included' the spacer, everything else was the same as far as number of buffer weights, discs (maybe one less - IDK) and bumper.

Since the R7 involves replacing the aluminum spacer with two additional weights, this was a no go for the project.

Is this rare, or is it common practice for aftermarket rifle buffers to eliminate the spacer?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Again, rifle ran fine with my ho made heavy buffer, but was apprehensive about free space since I didn't check. Have a standard Noveske buffer/ez tune tube coming cause I don't like the heavy mass when shooting. Will check old buffer after replacement.

Mr. Lysander, curious: same 075-185 spec for buffers for carbine length extensions?

Thx all...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I ordered an extra rifle buffer (don't remember vendor) to build an R7 heavy buffer. It didn't have the aluminum spacer, instead the bore of the buffer was shorter, and the base of the buffer 'included' the spacer, everything else was the same as far as number of buffer weights, discs (maybe one less - IDK) and bumper.

Since the R7 involves replacing the aluminum spacer with two additional weights, this was a no go for the project.

Is this rare, or is it common practice for aftermarket rifle buffers to eliminate the spacer?
    I have no idea what changes the after-market does to the original Colt designed buffer, but the spacer is aluminum with a hole through it so elimination is it probably adds weight.

That change might effect full-auto operation, but probably a wash for semi-only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Again, rifle ran fine with my ho made heavy buffer, but was apprehensive about free space since I didn't check. Have a standard Noveske buffer/ez tune tube coming cause I don't like the heavy mass when shooting. Will check old buffer after replacement.

Mr. Lysander, curious: same 075-185 spec for buffers for carbine length extensions?

Thx all...
    Somewhere around that length, I don't have the tolerances on a carbine buffer.

Feedback Score
    Understand. Thanks, again.