G&R Tactical
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Free space in rifle buffer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    37
    Feedback Score
    0

    Free space in rifle buffer

    Rumor seems to have it that rifle length buffer (for a2 stock) should have 5 weights and whatever spacers. While making a heavier buffer out of a no name, encountered 1 long steel weight, 2 rubber discs, and a plastic spacer inside. Replaced plastic with 2 tungsten and a disc, and rifle seems to run fine, but I can't help but wonder what specs are for free space and it's effect on timing of bolt unlock. Humbly submitted and thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    868
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    879
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Rumor seems to have it that rifle length buffer (for a2 stock) should have 5 weights and whatever spacers. While making a heavier buffer out of a no name, encountered 1 long steel weight, 2 rubber discs, and a plastic spacer inside. Replaced plastic with 2 tungsten and a disc, and rifle seems to run fine, but I can't help but wonder what specs are for free space and it's effect on timing of bolt unlock. Humbly submitted and thanks.
    The rifle buffer has a hole 5.323 +/- .005" deep

    The buffer weights are 0.613 +/- .003" long

    The disc is 0.071 +/- .005" thick

    The spacer is 1.300 +/- .005" long

    The bumper intrudes into the buffer .473 +/- .005"

    There are 5 buffer weights, 5 discs, 1 spacer, and one bumper

    Minimum space = 0.075"
    Maximum space = 0.185"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,849
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The spacer is 1.300 +/- .005" long
    I ordered an extra rifle buffer (don't remember vendor) to build an R7 heavy buffer. It didn't have the aluminum spacer, instead the bore of the buffer was shorter, and the base of the buffer 'included' the spacer, everything else was the same as far as number of buffer weights, discs (maybe one less - IDK) and bumper.

    Since the R7 involves replacing the aluminum spacer with two additional weights, this was a no go for the project.

    Is this rare, or is it common practice for aftermarket rifle buffers to eliminate the spacer?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

    To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Sedition, a Free Press and Personal Rule, The Kansas City Star, May 1918

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    37
    Feedback Score
    0
    Again, rifle ran fine with my ho made heavy buffer, but was apprehensive about free space since I didn't check. Have a standard Noveske buffer/ez tune tube coming cause I don't like the heavy mass when shooting. Will check old buffer after replacement.

    Mr. Lysander, curious: same 075-185 spec for buffers for carbine length extensions?

    Thx all...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    879
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I ordered an extra rifle buffer (don't remember vendor) to build an R7 heavy buffer. It didn't have the aluminum spacer, instead the bore of the buffer was shorter, and the base of the buffer 'included' the spacer, everything else was the same as far as number of buffer weights, discs (maybe one less - IDK) and bumper.

    Since the R7 involves replacing the aluminum spacer with two additional weights, this was a no go for the project.

    Is this rare, or is it common practice for aftermarket rifle buffers to eliminate the spacer?
    I have no idea what changes the after-market does to the original Colt designed buffer, but the spacer is aluminum with a hole through it so elimination is it probably adds weight.

    That change might effect full-auto operation, but probably a wash for semi-only.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    879
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Again, rifle ran fine with my ho made heavy buffer, but was apprehensive about free space since I didn't check. Have a standard Noveske buffer/ez tune tube coming cause I don't like the heavy mass when shooting. Will check old buffer after replacement.

    Mr. Lysander, curious: same 075-185 spec for buffers for carbine length extensions?

    Thx all...
    Somewhere around that length, I don't have the tolerances on a carbine buffer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    37
    Feedback Score
    0
    Understand. Thanks, again.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •