Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you consider a split time on the ar-15 that show's "mastery"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What would you consider a split time on the ar-15 that show's "mastery"

On an ar-15, what split time (while maintaining accuracy) would you consider "mastery" of the ar-15. for instance I consider running 1/4 second splits on pistol to be mastery of pistol speed.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Split times don’t mean sh*t in the real world soooooo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Youngling, one must first learn before one may master.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    As jpmuscle says, splits mean very little.

This is as good a place as any to start if looking for drills to use as benchmarks for skill progression:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ration-Project
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 11-09-19 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Depends on the size and range of the target. In the day shooting IPSC I could run the el presidente in mid 3s only dropping 2-3 out of the A zone with the open pistol. Move the box back 10 more yards and I was lucky to do it in the mid 5s. Aiming takes a little time!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anybody can be a split time master if the target is big and close enough. Gonna need to be more specific there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2007 View Post
    On an ar-15, what split time (while maintaining accuracy) would you consider "mastery" of the ar-15. for instance I consider running 1/4 second splits on pistol to be mastery of pistol speed.
    Dean,

I would humbly submit that without knowing distance engagement, splits tell nothing as there is no way to determine what we are actually talking about aside from time. Splits under .15 are approaching good in my mind, but I read the question with the idea of things being up close and personal. If Jack reads that same question and is thinking about 100 yard 6" steel plates, he will think I'm a loon. If Cory is thinking about an active mall shooter class he just taught in a mall filled with people, his mind is wondering why splits are even a thread topic. That doesn't make any of us wrong, nor any of us right, what is does make is things situationally dependent.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    “Combat never sounded like competition splits. Unless you were shooting at the speed of panic.” From a guy who spent quite a while shooting at both people and paper.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What would you consider a split time on the ar-15 that show's "mastery"

Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    “Combat never sounded like competition splits. Unless you were shooting at the speed of panic.” From a guy who spent quite a while shooting at both people and paper.
    Good quote, but my guess is that he and his guys had/have a high level of proficiency. The fact that most shooters don’t have much, if any, experience on a two way range lead me to assume that damn near every SD shooting would be at the speed of panic.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Good quote, but my guess is that he and his guys had/have a high level of proficiency. The fact that most shooters don’t have much, if any, experience on a two way range lead me to assume that damn near every SD shooting would be at the speed of panic.

Correct in your assumption.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast