Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.5 LW Carbine - DD or BCM - Best Quality

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

14.5 LW Carbine - DD or BCM - Best Quality

Here's the meat of the question:

I'm looking to buy a complete factory 14.5 P&W gun and can buy either a DDM4V7 SLW or a BCM BFH ELW for the exact same price brand new.

The only real differences in the two are that the BCM has their Mod 1 comp, while the DD has a simple flash suppressor, and that the BCM is a set screw gas block while the DD is pinned.

In terms of ruggedness, reliability, and quality is one objectively better than the other?

Here's the fluff:

I'm trimming back to just a Gen 5 Glock 19 and this new 14.5 gun as I just don't have tons of time to shoot or tinker anymore with one toddler and one on the way. I have no desire to change muzzle devices or even triggers at this point.

Going to put my T2 and scout light on this carbine and be done.

Hopefully shoot once a month if I'm lucky and otherwise just forget the gun exists other than when I need it like a hammer or channel locks. Battery change yearly and that's it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

14.5 LW Carbine - DD or BCM - Best Quality

Ruggedness and reliability, objectively, the DD just for the fact that it’s gas block is pinned. That being said, I don’t recall ever hearing about a BCM gas block coming loose, and unless you’re shooting a lot of junkyard prone, I prefer hybrid muzzle devices. The BCM comp is my favorite (though I’ve only experimented with a few), so I’d absolutely pick that one.

I think BCM’s barrel profile is a more gradual taper than DD’s, so maybe there is something to an argument about durability there? I don’t know, probably splitting hairs.

ETA - I didn’t know DD did factory 14.5s with a p/w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-29-19 at 07:47.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I think the DD is a better gun and will have a smaller gas port and better accuracy out of their barrel. If your good with the furniture than I think I would go with the DD. If not, you need to weigh the cost of new furniture.

I would also have a look at Sionics & SOLGW. If you don't mind going to 16" I think the FN 15 Tactical II is the gun to buy.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would not worry about a BCM gas block coming loose. They use some kind of space age loctite compound similar to the stuff they use to keep Ruth Bader Ginsberg alive.

I'm a big fan of BCM's ELW profile barrels. What I'm not a fan of is their Mod 1 comp over an A2 birdcage. It's more blasty and I could not tell the difference in recoil or muzzle rise. I'd opt for BCM's extended A2X if that's an option.

To be honest, you could flip a coin and not make the wrong decision.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Funny OP because I’m super similar to your situation.

In fact, I’m picking up a BCM 14.5 BFH ELW upper pinned with a mod 1 today from UPS.

I also consolidated down a bit and carry a Glock 19 gen 5 and I’m putting a T2 on this BCM upper. It’s going on a BCM lower with an A5 buffer.

I looked a lot in to different muzzle devices and the mod 1 seems legit because it’s more on the flash hider side of a compromise but reduces recoil by 25%, compared to say a battlecomp that reduces recoil more, but is also flashier and blastier.

The DDs are nice and my dealer stocks them but have never seen a SLW in person. The dealers always stock v7s and v11s with govt profile barrels.

Don’t think you can go wrong either way. If the gun was getting a scope and bipod, might say DD because the barrels are probably a little more accurate.
    Last edited by Walker_Texasranger; 10-29-19 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Also, I think the BCM barrel is a couple ounces lighter, and the weight is concentrated more towards the rear, where the DD is more of a straight profile and more weight out front.

So on top of the couple ounces, the weight balance will feel different and the BCM will swing easier. Probably not a huge difference but it’s splitting hairs between 2 good companies anyway.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    After spending some time shooting a friend's DD 14.5 SLW I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the market for that style of AR. They are nice, solid, well build guns and his was softer shooting than I expected. No issues making hits @ 280 on an 66% IPSC with his Vortex UH-1.

The DD rail probably has the edge in durability over the BCM, and is constructed in a way that you can swap it for another in their same line (so for instance go from key-mod to either m-lok or quad rail) with minimal effort, since they all share the same barrel nut and mounting hardware. All of the BCM aluminum rails I've messed with have required a heat gun for installation and removal.

The pinned gasblock on the DD is also a nice touch, and that flash hider is definitely less blasty than a BCM comp, if that's important to you. You can also probably order the BCM with an A2X instead of a comp, but the price might not be the same as buying something off the shelf.

Personally, I ended up with a Triarc 14.5 middy upper with a Surefire Warcomp, but would've probably just bought a DD if I'd been able to play with my buddy's rifle earlier.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    After spending some time shooting a friend's DD 14.5 SLW I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the market for that style of AR. They are nice, solid, well build guns and his was softer shooting than I expected. No issues making hits @ 280 on an 66% IPSC with his Vortex UH-1.

The DD rail probably has the edge in durability over the BCM, and is constructed in a way that you can swap it for another in their same line (so for instance go from key-mod to either m-lok or quad rail) with minimal effort, since they all share the same barrel nut and mounting hardware. All of the BCM aluminum rails I've messed with have required a heat gun for installation and removal.

The pinned gasblock on the DD is also a nice touch, and that flash hider is definitely less blasty than a BCM comp, if that's important to you. You can also probably order the BCM with an A2X instead of a comp, but the price might not be the same as buying something off the shelf.

Personally, I ended up with a Triarc 14.5 middy upper with a Surefire Warcomp, but would've probably just bought a DD if I'd been able to play with my buddy's rifle earlier.
    How much time do you have on it? I'm definitely interested in hearing more about them.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I wish I had that problem. I have each a DD and BCM, but not those. That said, qualitatively, as said earlier, flip a coin. If you can't decide, go with the lightest one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, just picked up the 14.5 BCM and it seems really nice. I didn’t put it on the lower yet because I didn’t want someone calling the cops on me as I swing an AR around in a parking lot but feels really light, especially in the front. Balanced weight towards the receiver. Will probably put a lot of rounds through it this weekend.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast