Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Vibra Tite like Blue locktite

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Is Vibra Tite like Blue locktite

Is Vibra Tite like Blue locktite. I want to lock down a RDS on a handgun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Is Vibra Tite like Blue Loctite. I want to lock down an RDS on a handgun.

PB
    Hmmm, never used it myself Pappabear but it looks like good stuff! It sounds like you have some on hand and no Loctite and you want to mount your RDS so you can shoot tomorrow,, LOL Just a wild guess. Anyways I would use it after reading about it, not sure if that helps though!
    https://www.vibra-tite.com/products/...-3-threadmate/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Some swear by it, other didn't get as much luck. I used it a couple of times and honestly don't know what exactly it offers over the blue. People say it is easier to remove the sight if needed to, and you can re-tighten without additional application; I wouldn't do that regardless. With good screwdriver bits and not being stupid during loctite application I've not had issues removing anything. Having tried it, I am sticking with whatever I have availalbe, VC3 or blue. If I had one, I wouldn't go out of my way to get another.

Feedback Score
    I've used both. From my recollection, Vibra-Tite sets up a bit faster and to some degree is reusable, which means to me I don't have to reapply after a couple of uses.

I think blue Loctite takes a few hours (maybe 6 hours) vs. Vibra-Tite, where you're supposed to wait ~10 minutes after applying to then screw parts together. But I don't know the difference between "setting" and "fully cured". Fully-cured Loctite is supposed to be 24 hours.

The last thing I believe is Vibra-Tite's temperature range may be only 165º F max., where blue Loctite max. is ~300º F. Just guessing, I'd estimate an RDS' screws would get to 165º on a slide.

Advise, I've read somewhere Vibra-Tite was the recommended thread-locker to use; but I'd be bringing the right driver bits to check screw tightness. Later, I'd consider switching to blue Loctite if the Vibra-Tite ends up failing.

I've no experience with an RDS and admittedly, I've even had trouble by having a BUIS fly-off my AR. I'm going to check the screws on those before, during, and after shooting next week.
    Last edited by L-2; 11-09-19 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The biggest downfall to Vibratite is the crappy plastic cap that seals the bottle. It WILL break and cause the remaining amount to dry up. I got less than 7 months of use out of a ~$22 30 mL bottle, with about 75% of it going to waste because it dried out on me. I’ve even tried to enclose the bottle in an airtight ziploc for as long as I could make it last.

Either stick with Loctite or line up all of your hardware to get the most out of your included packet of Vibratite that comes with new mounts (ADM always supplied some).

I haven’t had much luck with Vibratite on smaller screws and finer thread pitches such as the RMR screws, Glock front sight screw, etc. It loosened up after < 500 rounds, so I removed the residue and went back to Loctite. No issues since.
    Last edited by contax_shooter; 11-09-19 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    The biggest downfall to Vibratite is the crappy plastic cap that seals the bottle. It WILL break and cause the remaining amount to dry up. I got less than 7 months of use out of a ~$22 30 mL bottle, with about 75% of it going to waste because it dried out on me. I’ve even tried to enclose the bottle in an airtight ziploc for as long as I could make it last.

Either stick with Loctite or line up all of your hardware to get the most out of your included packet of Vibratite that comes with new mounts (ADM always supplied some).

I haven’t had much luck with Vibratite on smaller screws and finer thread pitches such as the RMR screws, Glock front sight screw, etc. It loosened up after < 500 rounds, so I removed the residue and went back to Loctite. No issues since.
    Yup - lost a bottle in the same way as well - found putting grease on the threads of the glass bottle seems to help. Have been using Vibratite on motorcycle applications and seems to be working but no opinion on whether it is better than blue which I also use. Have in on my SRO/Glock and holding us so far but, unfortunately, still a low round count.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post

I have been having good luck with the 5ml VC-3, but you get a 2nd on the 30ml brush bottle deal sucking.

I have had good luck with VC-3 on scope and light mounts, but never had issues with blue Loctite though. Guessing those are probably #8 - #10'ish size or larger and really I can't see how Vibratite could work on smaller size screws.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Witness marks on mount/plate and screw after assembled are a good idea too PB.
    Can tell at a glance if the screw/fastener has loosened, without having to continually torque screw down- which can compromise a Loctite bond.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I bought a scope mount from ADM. They included a small tube of Vibratite. They recommended against using loctite for some reason. The vibra-tite smelled suspiciously similar to rubber cement. It worked very well. The screws did not come loose. It can be applied without degreasing. I like the stuff

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Love Vibratite. Great stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast