Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the free float rail the default these days?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Why is the free float rail the default these days?

I am curious why exactly the free float rail/handguard has become pretty much the default for all newly produced ARs.

Most all new ARs take more money and effort to set up for shooting now because you need to buy sights and generally rail covers unless you always shoot with gloves.

Since most guys aren't shooting with NV the rails usually just hold a front sight, though some guys just go straight to an optic with no iron sights at all, and the vast majority doesn't even mount a white light on the rail. Even glancing through the picture thread here you see tons of railed carbines with only a flip up front sight or no sight at all.

So, from a pragmatic perspective, what is the reason that most ARs are being built this way anymore?

Is it less costly to manufacture and assemble low profile gas blocks and rails over FSBs and plastic handguards?

Is it a false assumption that most buyers are attaching lots of devices to the rails?

Is the rail setup more durable than the old FSB setup?

Is it simply marketing or targeting what the consumer wants because those guns look cooler?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    People like options? I mean we could all go back to 20" A2's and chicken wing stances but there's been some advances in technology and training in the last 50 years.

You can still find new rifles with a FSB and a delta ring if that's what you want. BCM, SOLGW, even PSA if you like them.

More rail allows a person to stretch their grip out a bit more. A carbine length gas system with a FSB is not ideal for me, even though I have a couple 11.5" guns setup that way. Mid length is much more workable, a 10.5" rail is even better.

They're lighter. That may or may not be a consideration for you. A 3 or 4 times a year shooter or someone that shoots from a bench a lot probably won't care about a few ounces, but a person that shoots and trains a bunch or that spends time carrying a rifle might.

A drilled and pinned FSB is certainly more durable, but a free float rail mounted front sight is probably durable enough 99% of the time. Back up irons are just that. Back up irons. Even the budget red dots like Primary Arms and Holosun have proven to be reliable enough to where the likelihood of them failing is quite low, as much as it pains me to say that as an Aimpoint fanboi. With so many running an LPVO or prism scope with an etched reticle, the likelihood of needing a front sight is even less.

I have guns setup with both. They serve different purposes and I don't see it as an either/or kind of thing.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Marketing

Precision/accuracy perception

The ability to have as long as possible handguard for a given barrel length, which may or may not be valid in a world with Kinos and mock Dissys.

Mine wear sling mounts, front sights, white lights. They also wear rail covers, which I would need even with a non-float handguard, such as the KAC on the M4/M16A4.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Versatility.

Not all ARs are suited for everyone when it comes to configuration as far as options for mounting accessories, accuracy, and shooting position (how the weapon is held) is concerned. Free-float handguards provide the user a multitude of options. I have a variety of ARs, many of which are old school with FSBs and carrying handles. I have several more that are more new school with free-float handguards. I like the versatility that free-float handguards provide.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 11-10-19 at 14:20.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You skipped the most important reason - you can load the handguard on a barricade without affecting POI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Most civilian shooter's operate operationally.

Not only is a free float hand guard required, but it must be a hodge wedlock so as to not affect NVG's and their zero.

The average shooter also has stock piles of mk262 so the precision requirements are very high. Cant have a POI shift while placing precision fire dynamically.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I think it is just progression of the platform. Most guns I have used the longer rail. I could get by with less but I don't have to.

I usually have a light, vfg, possibly a bipod, and I can extend my grip out further

Free float also allows for a greater accuracy potential

All that being said there is still a place for a simple fsp build. In reality a Colt 6920, with a Magpul handguard, light, and Aimpoint can do everything I would ever need an ar15 to do

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You skipped the most important reason - you can load the handguard on a barricade without affecting POI.

Winner winner chicken dinner, if you havent shot a Vtac barricade with 8 inches naked barrel sticking out I suggest people do this back to back compared with a longer FF handguard.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Not perfectly true, but better than, say, an M16.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Not perfectly true, but better than, say, an M16.
    Ive seen the chitshow that is someone with a standard M4 shoot a 9 hole drill. That FSB gets caught in holes, people getting miss after miss on steel at 100 yards due to barrel pressure.

Even in something as tame as NRA high power, people run FF tubes under the handguards.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-10-19 at 10:25.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast