Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Mag Coupler Options TWO QUESTIONS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AR Mag Coupler Options TWO QUESTIONS

I apologize if I have not posted this in the correct location on this forum.

FIRST QUESTION
    Can you use AR-15 Magazine Couplers, like the Magpul, with Taran Tactical +5 magazine extensions. I like the idea of having 70 rounds at the ready with mags coupled together. I'm thinking the answer may well be no...since the extension adds width to the magazine.

SECOND QUESTION
    I find the AR-15/M16 IMPROVED REDI-MAG appealing. I definitely assume hear using these with AR mags with Taran Tacical extensions is a no go, but do they even work with PMAGS? I like the idea of dropping a mag and just popping the other one in, but do they only work with standard GI AR mags?

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by CAMagnussen; 11-22-19 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

AR Mag Coupler Options TWO QUESTIONS

Why not couple two magpul 40 rounders together and get 80 rounds for less money, or save some space and rock a D60 in the gun?

You can use a coupler with the extensions since the magpul coupler holds the mags in the middle and not the bottom. If you already have the mags with the extensions it’s not a bad idea, if you need to buy extensions I would look in to the 40 round mags.

For the redi mag is have never used one so I can’t comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nowski87; 11-22-19 at 15:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    Why not couple two magpul 40 rounders together and get 80 rounds for less money, or save some space and rock a D60 in the gun?

You can use a coupler with the extensions since the magpul coupler holds the mags in the middle and not the bottom. If you already have the mags with the extensions it’s not a bad idea, if you need to buy extensions I would look in to the 40 round mags.

For the redi mag is have never used one so I can’t comment on that.

You make a good point re. two Magpul 40 rounders. I appreciate it. The Redi-Mag strikes me as an optimal solution, since you do not have to worry about the spent mag, you just drop it and forget it and with it you are not stressing the AR to hold two mags, just one, as designed, FWIW. My feeling is that if a mag is going to fail, I'd rather have two available than one, particularly a 60 rounder. I'm thinking of preparing for the worst-case-scenario, etc.
    Last edited by CAMagnussen; 11-22-19 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    You make a good point re. two Magpul 40 rounders. I appreciate it. The Redi-Mag strikes me as an optimal solution, since you do not have to worry about the spent mag, you just drop it and forget it and with it you are not stressing the AR to hold two mags, just one, as designed, FWIW. My feeling is that if a mag is going to fail, I'd rather have two available than one, particularly a 60 rounder. I'm thinking of preparing for the worst-case-scenario, etc.
    D60 would fit the bill if you just want one mag and throw a mag in your pocket.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    D60 would fit the bill if you just want one mag and throw a mag in your pocket.

The D60 is not a viable option. IF you have a mag malfunction, you are forced to toss away a large magazine. To my knowledge, the D60 has no reliable battle tested experience. Fun for the range...otherwise....not so much.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The D60 is used by the Secret Service and at least one member here has shared a picture of it being used in service.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Also, not to detract from my serious service post a few moments ago...

I would recommend considering the Strike Industries extensions for PMAGs. They work. They’re just extensions, and are way less expensive or Taran or Centurion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Also, not to detract from my serious service post a few moments ago...

I would recommend considering the Strike Industries extensions for PMAGs. They work. They’re just extensions, and are way less expensive or Taran or Centurion.
    But do they work with mag couplers...which is the point of my original post.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pmag coupler is proprietary to Pmags, and I think it will fit only Gen 3 Pmags, not the earlier ones.

When I carried my M4 as a car gun, I started out with two 30 round Pmags coupled together. This was unwieldy so I ended up with a stock pouch for the spare mag.

I'm intrigued: Do we have any hard into about the Secret Service using D60?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Pmag coupler is proprietary to Pmags, and I think it will fit only Gen 3 Pmags, not the earlier ones.

When I carried my M4 as a car gun, I started out with two 30 round Pmags coupled together. This was unwieldy so I ended up with a stock pouch for the spare mag.

I'm intrigued: Do we have any hard into about the Secret Service using D60?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BuY9kE1B-pi/?hl=en

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...group-soldier/

Just grabbed a couple from the top of Google

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast