Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why is the free float rail the default these days?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Free float specifically: all the benefits of a handguard and no/reduced issues of deflection.
    There are no benefits to a non-free float over free float other than cost (that I can think of).
    That and ease of installation. But that’s gotta be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    For me, I have definitely noticed a POI shift with a tight sling while shooting a non-ff weapon. This can all be mitigated by knowing how to compensate for POI when the sling is tight.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Aside from maybe being "more expensive" is there a downside to the concept of FF tubes? Because, if there are I haven't found them yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You skipped the most important reason - you can load the handguard on a barricade without affecting POI.
    This. I got to see this in action during an elimination drill at a class a few years back. I had a 16" M4 style AR and kept throwing shots that I knew were solid shots. The instructor finally had pity and mentioned (for the like 5th time that class) to not rest the barrel on the barricade. Sure enough I started to make my hits again. Even though he told me to watch out for that on day 1, when I tried to speed up so that I wouldn't get tagged out, I forgot to make sure I wasn't loading the barrel.

Taking classes, IMHO, is the best way to know what works for you and what doesn't. I've completely changed my setup based on what I've learned about my gear, myself, and the scenarios I feel most reflect what I'm likely to encounter.

For example, I now run a DD fixed front sight in lieu of a folding front sight. It works with my flashlight and if I'm in an unusual position, like taking low cover in junkyard prone on the hood of a car, it offers a quick index so that I can find the dot. Similar with a short VFG. I can't stand a VFG but I run one. In brokeback position it's the only way I can get on target quickly. Same with jamming the VFG against a barricade. It works well and in those situations, for me, it is the fastest way to get shots on target.

There are allot of other guys at these classes that have other setups. They've worked out what works for them.
    Last edited by mvasilakis; 11-22-19 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    marketing

precision is really only with faster follow up shot because a rig that's been dialed in is dialed in and the ff rail is not going to change that. My more accurate ARs are not ff but then again, I don't try to get precision out of the 5.56

I prefer the fsb for a variety of reasons

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    marketing

precision is really only with faster follow up shot because a rig that's been dialed in is dialed in and the ff rail is not going to change that. My more accurate ARs are not ff but then again, I don't try to get precision out of the 5.56

I prefer the fsb for a variety of reasons
    What? It’s not about inherent mechanical accuracy, it’s about limiting the external factors that will degrade that accuracy.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What? It’s not about inherent mechanical accuracy, it’s about limiting the external factors that will degrade that accuracy.

That and his post makes no sense. What does precision have to do with faster follow up shots again?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234