Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is the free float rail the default these days?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Not perfectly true, but better than, say, an M16.
    Better than any non-FF design, no?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ive seen the chitshow that is someone with a standard M4 shoot a 9 hole drill. That FSB gets caught in holes, people getting miss after miss on steel at 100 yards due to barrel pressure.
    So, in your mind, what is the purpose of the 9 hole drill? (maybe this needs a thread?)
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ive seen the chitshow that is someone with a standard M4 shoot a 9 hole drill. That FSB gets caught in holes, people getting miss after miss on steel at 100 yards due to barrel pressure.

Even in something as tame as NRA high power, people run FF tubes under the handguards.
    Not always a chitshow. Maybe whoever you saw was inexperienced or lacked training. A younger version of me shot off barriers routinely with a block 1 gun, as did many others. Including the VTAC with all the cutouts. Competently. I did wish for a longer handguard, but not necessarily a free float. Mainly because I wanted a place to grab the gun with a flashlight and PEQ mounted. I’ve even done it with AK47s, 74s, and G3s. I’m pretty sure Kyle Lamb, who I believe publicized that drill, didn’t always have a long free float. A longer handguard is better, but it does not completely outclass a regular handguard. Its the Indian, not the arrow.

I prefer a free float that goes nearly to the muzzle, but that doesn’t turn a regular 6920 into a muzzleloader by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Better than any non-FF design, no?
    Yes.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    So, in your mind, what is the purpose of the 9 hole drill? (maybe this needs a thread?)
    Tactical Yoga

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Its the Indian, not the arrow.
    Man, I really hate this analogy as it doesn't make sense. The arrow is the ammo, so if you have crap ammo then it might not be the Indian. Same goes for the bow. If you have a sh1tty bow then again it might not be the Indian's fault. Anyway, I digress......sorry.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    Man, I really hate this analogy as it doesn't make sense. The arrow is the ammo, so if you have crap ammo then it might not be the Indian. Same goes for the bow. If you have a sh1tty bow then again it might not be the Indian's fault. Anyway, I digress......sorry.
    Butcher, not the knife.
    Shooter, not the rifle.
    Gardener, not the shovel.

Point is, training and skill is more important than handguard type.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Butcher, not the knife.
    Shooter, not the rifle.
    Gardener, not the shovel.

Point is, training and skill is more important than handguard type.
    Oh, I get it It should be "The Indian, not the bow". In my last class, we did VTAC drills only a handful of times. I smoked a guy who was Ex-Army(big time talker). He was rocking a Carbine FSB while I had my FF mutt-build.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A stock 6920 upper is really all someone like me needs, actually. High speed set-ups would be wasted in my case.

I have no real skill.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Duplicate (again)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Wow, will you be my hero? That the best story Bro. Totally awesome. Sometimes it’s “The Free Float, not the Call of Duty on PlayStation”

Either way, i.m.p.r.e.s.s.i.v.e... If you already haven’t, search online and see if you can find an Army Expert Marksmanship Badge to hang on yourself when you go out and shoot. Or go to Hobby Lobby and find the stuff to create one. You’d look even more bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    Oh, I get it It should be "The Indian, not the bow". In my last class, we did VTAC drills only a handful of times. I smoked a guy who was Ex-Army(big time talker). He was rocking a Carbine FSB while I had my FF mutt-build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast