Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinned FSB vs LPGB Set Screws

Feedback Score

Pinned FSB vs LPGB Set Screws

Is pinning a LPGB overkill provided the barrel is properly dimpled and the proper red loctite is used?

BCM claims they have not had any of there's come loose.

Pinning the FSB makes sense because its exposed. The FSB is potentially a exposed 2" lever that is susceptible to being twisted or knocked out of place where as the LPGB is not.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I consider it a safeguard, especially if your barrel is subjected to high heat cycles. (Such as shooting suppressed.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know if it matters or helps, but I center punched the set screws on mine.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have pinned gas blocks, pinned gas blocks with set screws in barrel dimples, and gas blocks with set screws in barrel dimples.

None have ever come loose on me, not even the unpinned ones. Dimple your barrel, use knurled tip screws, degrease the screws, degrease the threads in the gas block, apply Red 271, torque to spec, and allow it to cure. Or you can pin it as well, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sometimes a little overkill is just right.

Look at how wound up people get over staking carrier screws.

These are pieces that you never want to come loose by themselves.

Also, I'm not a fan of Loctite for most high heat applications.

Get the gas block to 400F and it may as well not be there.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If it's protected by the handguard, I don't care about pinning. Dimple and set screw however is a must. We had an adjustable gas block slip on us because I got lazy and didn't dimple.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How deep a dimple would you guys say is sufficient? I've used the SLR jig to double dimple all my LPGB barrels, and I probably go 40 thousandths or so and then use red Loctite, but I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have gone 80 thou.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I have a 10.3 BA Hanson Barrel that had their lo pro gas block pinned from them.

The pin does give me the warm and fuzzies.

Was it a must? Probably not.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    How deep a dimple would you guys say is sufficient? I've used the SLR jig to double dimple all my LPGB barrels, and I probably go 40 thousandths or so and then use red Loctite, but I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have gone 80 thou.
    Whatever is deep enough to get some bite on the set screw bevels. .040 is probably ok if your set screw is hitting the dimple good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Whatever is deep enough to get some bite on the set screw bevels. .040 is probably ok if your set screw is hitting the dimple good.
    Cool, thanks.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast