Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Noveske Special Edition

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I say buy the Noveske. KACs are still being made as well or better than ever, while the general consensus seems to be that Noveske rifles built during John’s time are “better” (in what way?...) than current offerings, so there won’t be any more of those available later for you.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This reminds me of the book “Misbehaving.” The author talked about how the study of behavioral economics has been more acknowledged as legitimate and necessary. Simple economics would say that one gains more practical value, longevity, customer support, and ongoing development. But human-ness results in our thinking about how important it is that “This is my chance to get something special,” although it is not better in any but perhaps one way (accuracy) than other options.

Neither choice is wrong. Ask yourself what you’ll use the rifle for. If you plan to actually shoot it a lot, I would think the “practical” choice obvious. But it’s OK to purchase something simply because it is unique.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceguy View Post
    Just got off the phone with Noveske and the serial number matches what the current configuration. The 16 inch barrel light RECCE in FDE is correct. It was made in October of 2009. I am pretty confident it is OEM after talking to Noveske. After I see it and if it is clean would you buy it or do you think they are asking too much?
    I remember this configuration (different from the 18" version). It's legit. The one Stickman is referring to was the more enviable "grail" version in FDE; the Recce version was basically their standard Recce with a paint color and a few minor additions. They've had a few special releases over the years. The one I miss (and wish I had purchased) was the 18" SPR Magpul package that came with a Magpul lower, multiple mags, everything, including a padded case, circa 2009. I actually had a chance to buy one new at retail price, but I was new to ARs then and I had no idea what I was looking at. To this day, I regret missing it: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Re...le/118-440967/

That said, does it come with the original box and/or padded Noveske travel case, magazines, stickers, etc.? If you're buying it from a collector's standpoint, that's what would be the entire "package."

Now, my .02:

I owned 3 or 4 Noveske rifles from when John was alive. They were phenomenal in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy. Also, the old Noveske customer service was beyond awesome (a la Sheri).

That said, they really changed after John's passing and, in my opinion, focused more on turning into a hipster trend-setting manufacturer than on making guns and barrels that get issued to good guys to kill bad guys. While that has no bearing on the quality of the rifle itself, it does largely reflect the company that would provide customer service and support should you need it. I had to call Noveske CS a few times over some QC issues and it was obvious the the company had changed in recent years.

Unless you knew John personally, I'd pass on the gun itself (unless it's mint and comes with everything original and you want to keep it as a collector piece). The main reasons to buy a Noveske were 1) the quality of the gun and 2) the team behind it. As it's now a decade since, AR15 technology improvements have progressed to the point that the original Recce-style N4's are rather dated. They still run fine, but there's just so much out there that's technologically better for the price. The company has changed as well, and that removes selling point #2 for me.

My recommendations:
    1) Buy a KAC SR-15 and find some old Johnny Pmags to put in it on Gunbroker or on the EE.
    2) Source a John-era Noveske stripped lower and upper and build the gun to your liking.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 11-12-19 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    KAC was the other one I was looking at. My thinking with the Noveske is that I am only giving up the ambi controls but I am getting a better barrel. Plus there are not going to be any more Noveske’s made when John was alive and this one was made in 2010. I take it guys that have shot both would take the KAC over the Noveske? I feel like the KAC bolt while better is proprietary so I think that cuts both ways. If I ever felt like I needed a stronger bolt I can put in an LMT enhanced bolt.
    You're giving up, ambi controls, redesigned gas system, redesigned and upgraded bolt/barrel extension. The barrel extension is supposedly backwards compatible with a standard bolt, but the E3 bolt won't work with a standard barrel extension. I dunno if you're getting a "better" barrel or not, mine was a ****in' laser beam. The extra money for the KAC has real, tangible and significant advantages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    In my former life I was a CPA and I never appreciated when I would give my clients tax advise and they didnt take it. If someone knows more about something then you, take their advice. I think it is the same thing here. I appreciate all the guidance and opinion given the last several days. I found a real nice used KAC SR-15 LPR used and I am also going to purchase a KAC 16 upper down the road. I dont have that many guns that I can collect them. If I bought that Noveske I was planning on shooting it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my former life I was a CPA and I never appreciated when I would give my clients tax advise and they didnt take it. If someone knows more about something then you, take their advice. I think it is the same thing here. I appreciate all the guidance and opinion given the last several days. I found a real nice used KAC SR-15 LPR used and I am also going to purchase a KAC 16 upper down the road. I dont have that many guns that I can collect them. If I bought that Noveske I was planning on shooting it.
    I have a KAC LPR that stays with a scope locked on, and isn't used much in pictures. It is one of the few weapons that aren't changed around for pictures, training or promo work. Its pretty much perfect the way it is, and while it might not be quite as accurate as a Johnny era 18", its still very capable. The rest of my KAC stuff is whored out across the internet, and while its all GTG, those peices are not as purpose driven. Your new plan, as described, sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You'll love the LPR. That's a great choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I have a KAC LPR that stays with a scope locked on, and isn't used much in pictures. It is one of the few weapons that aren't changed around for pictures, training or promo work. Its pretty much perfect the way it is, and while it might not be quite as accurate as a Johnny era 18", its still very capable. The rest of my KAC stuff is whored out across the internet, and while its all GTG, those peices are not as purpose driven. Your new plan, as described, sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    Interesting, that's my go-to rifle as well. KAC LPR and a NF 2.5-10x24. Honestly the best all-around AR rifle I've found yet.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 11-12-19 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've had Noveske's from John's time. Pass.

Feedback Score
    Just saw on Cabela’s that they dropped the price to $1,800. I already bought the KAC but that seems like a pretty solid deal doesn’t it?

Feedback Score
    $1800 buys a NX8 & a quality mount.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast