Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Correct Method of Tightening Castle Nut

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We did pay attention to that from the start, which is one of the two reasons it's kept short. The other one is JCW is a dedicated castle nut wrench, it doesn't need to be any longer than it is.

Our conclusion and calculation is the little length it adds, from the torque wrench socket to either the 2 lug wrench or the 3 lug wrench, is so short as to be a non-issue, given the torque range of 38 to 42 which allows ample freedom within the scope. Any shorter than than, we'd risk interference from the torque wrench's head.

We could engrave the distance, but believe most will ignore it, since they won't take the very minor offset into consideration.
    Last edited by Duffy; 11-25-19 at 09:50.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    If you put the adapter at 90 degrees to the wrench, you don't have to worry about the extension length

However, from your picture the offset length looks like 1-3/4 inches. So, with a 18 inch long torque wrench set at 38 to 42 ft-lbs, and the adapter set parallel the wrench, the applied torque would be between 42 -46 ft-lbs.
    Last edited by lysander; 11-26-19 at 12:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some torques in the Maintenance Manual include the length of the torque adapter. "Correcting" for the length will result in under torquing.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Eyeball it, torque it down, stake it, and drive on.
    This.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234