Thread: Is there a way to self diagnose problems when shooting prone

Feedback Score

Is there a way to self diagnose problems when shooting prone

I looked online but found nothing, but is there a way to self diagnose problems when shooting prone, or are there any human resources available to help teach someone that doesn't cost an arm and a limb. Or if I train enough will these problems work themselves out?
    Last edited by dean2007; 11-11-19 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What problems are you having?

In another post/thread you mentioned using the magazine as a monopod, I'd eliminate that practice if you are going for groups.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    doubled - doing that a lot lately
    Bartender; I'll have seconds of his double!

Shooting off a magazine is among the less stable ways to shoot, regardless of body position. First of all, determine your goals; groups at 100 yds, farther, ten shots in the ten ring, etc... Next, get some bags if you're determined to shoot prone. You also mentioned some physical challenges in your other thread; why not shoot off a bench to optimize your accuracy? Find out how good you are before you add adversity. Sure, prone is stable, but that's subjective. Bipod and a bag minimum are what the good shooters use, so why demand a shaky sight picture? That will discourage, not encourage more practice. Walk, then run.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Check out TC 3-22.9, specifically page E12 and E13, or page 222 and 223 on a pdf download. If you google it, you’ll find a free downloadable version. Lots of good information in there in general.

Also, as others have said, you’ll probably shoot better groups off a bag.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Check out TC 3-22.9, specifically page E12 and E13, or page 222 and 223 on a pdf download. If you google it, you’ll find a free downloadable version. Lots of good information in there in general.

Also, as others have said, you’ll probably shoot better groups off a bag.
    Also curious as to what problems you’re having OP, but this is a solid recommendation. Also, while there’s tons of junk on YouTube, Trigger Time TV is pretty solid. I think Kyle Defoor may have a video or two on probe shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.