Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a white light with a MAWL

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Question Mounting a white light with a MAWL

It looks like the prescribed method of mounting a white light with a MAWL on a carbine is to use an inline light mount and a tape switch at 12 o'clock, as seen in this image from the BE Meyers website:

I have seen some images of guys running off-set light mounts off the 3 o'clock rail to get the light mounted around 4:30, which I suspect is just doing what they can with what they have.

Has anyone used any different mounting locations with different switches and, if so, how have they worked for you?

Thank you!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Last edited by titsonritz; 11-14-19 at 18:30.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not a fan at all of tape switches and for white light I want the ability to have constant on now. For those reason and because I dont have to change my support hand grip to activate a pressure pad positioned behind the MAWL I run scout style white lights at the 10:30 position. This allows me to activate all items with just my thumb immediately.

Typically Surefire 600DF or Modlite is attached to a Unity Micro Hub 2.0 which plays well with the MAWL and offers BUIS. I also like the fact that the light sits a little higher reducing the shadow from the suppressor. Personally I cant stand having the white light mounted at either 3:00 or 9:00 when running a can. In the fight for rail estate this is a very clean, simple and fast solution.

Mounting the white light opposite the laser also balances the rifle by offsetting the weight of the MAWL.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Not a fan at all of tape switches and for white light I want the ability to have constant on now. For those reason and because I dont have to change my support hand grip to activate a pressure pad positioned behind the MAWL I run scout style white lights at the 10:30 position. This allows me to activate all items with just my thumb immediately.

Typically Surefire 600DF or Modlite is attached to a Unity Micro Hub 2.0 which plays well with the MAWL and offers BUIS. I also like the fact that the light sits a little higher reducing the shadow from the suppressor. Personally I cant stand having the white light mounted at either 3:00 or 9:00 when running a can. In the fight for rail estate this is a very clean, simple and fast solution.

Mounting the white light opposite the laser also balances the rifle by offsetting the weight of the MAWL.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg
    How do you activate the light when shooting left handed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    How do you activate the light when shooting left handed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Why am I shooting left handed? Listen as a right handed shooter my weapons are all set up for me to maximize the controls and efficiency of the platform from that RH position from which I operate. Why would I sacrifice that for something I may never do or at best a very, very low percentage of the time? Seems pretty dumb to weaken your primary usage for something that hardly is a factor. What if, what if the world to death and yes I do and can transition from side to side.

While IMO, not idea if I need white light I can simply reach up over the MAWL and activate the clicky switch on the white light and have it ON.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It’s fairly easy (and very efficient) to switch shoulders without switching hands to make an emergency shot around cover / consealment. If it’s not an emergency shot, just shoot strong handed or reach over and turn on the light. Or use your NVG/laser and stay all ninja. Everything dose not need to be ambidextrous to be effective. If you’re standing in the open switching shoulders / shooting off side makes no sense.
    Last edited by TCB; 11-20-19 at 21:47.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Why am I shooting left handed? Listen as a right handed shooter my weapons are all set up for me to maximize the controls and efficiency of the platform from that RH position from which I operate. Why would I sacrifice that for something I may never do or at best a very, very low percentage of the time? Seems pretty dumb to weaken your primary usage for something that hardly is a factor. What if, what if the world to death and yes I do and can transition from side to side.

While IMO, not idea if I need white light I can simply reach up over the MAWL and activate the clicky switch on the white light and have it ON.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    It’s fairly easy (and very efficient) to switch shoulders without switching hands to make an emergency shot around cover / consealment. If it’s not an emergency shot, just shoot strong handed or reach over and turn on the light. Or use your NVG/laser and stay all ninja. Everything dose not need to be ambidextrous to be effective. If you’re standing in the open switching shoulders / shooting off side makes no sense.
    I agree, I'm left handed and very ambidextrous, given the option I'll setup my carbine to be ambidextrous but not at the price of sacrificing efficiency from my predominate side, the left gets dibs over ambi.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Something to keep in mind when mounting a light under a MAWL like shown in the OP, is you want to make sure the light is mounted back far enough to allow access to the laser adjustment screw on the bottom the MAWL with the light head removed.

I tried running on the opposite side of the MAWL but didn't care for how wide it made the front of my gun so I moved back under the MAWL. I am using a Unity Hot Button MLOK in the 45* MLOK slot right next to the MAWL switches and since I don't 100% trust wired switches I'm using a DS00 tailcap for backup.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Something to keep in mind when mounting a light under a MAWL like shown in the OP, is you want to make sure the light is mounted back far enough to allow access to the laser adjustment screw on the bottom the MAWL with the light head removed.

I tried running on the opposite side of the MAWL but didn't care for how wide it made the front of my gun so I moved back under the MAWL. I am using a Unity Hot Button MLOK in the 45* MLOK slot right next to the MAWL switches and since I don't 100% trust wired switches I'm using a DS00 tailcap for backup.
    I think I’ve broken like 4 Hot Buttons and Mod Buttons in the past couple years, resulting in flickering or failed activation intermittently (difficult to reproduce). I’d say tailcap activation for a backup is wise.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My light (PLHv2) is on a Unity micro hub with a clicky tailcap at the 10:30 with the MAWL on the right side as well. The light is basically where all my lights are across the board on my personal and work guns. For support side shooting I grasp the MAWL itself rather than the handguard and can operate it’s and the lights buttons. When you do that the rifle naturally cants a bit and puts the buttons right in reach, works just fine, do the same thing on rifles that don’t have a MAWL. There have only been a couple of times at work when I’ve had to actually switch shoulders to clear an area or make the available cover/consealment work for me. It’s just not something I’ve had to do very often. It happens, but most problems can be worked with the rifle mounted strong side without putting yourself at much of a disadvantage. When I’m forced to switch I can deal with a slightly less ideal mounting of the gun for the (usually short) time I’m working the problem. Just takes a little training.
    Last edited by TCB; 08-01-22 at 04:00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast