Thread: 6.5Grendel SPR/DMR Optic

Feedback Score

6.5Grendel SPR/DMR Optic

I've always been a BDC 1-4x, 1-6x guy on my 556 ARs, which has served me exquisitely at the ranges i typically shoot; 0-400 yards. However I recently got a Seekins NX upper with a Faxon Gunner 16" Grendel barrel in a trade that got me thinking I need a little more magnification; both for hunting purposes as well as trying out some long range stuff. I dont plan on taking hunting shots beyond 300ish, but I'd like to ring steel out to 6 7 800 yards.

Light weight is important. I seem to understand MIL better so I guess MIL/MIL would be good, under $1000 would be good. Capped turrets if it's got a good useable reticle, exposed if dialing would suit it better - although I'm hoping to just pick a round, figure out a dope chart, and hold for windage. 1-6, 1-8, or 2-10 would probably suit my needs??? I'm open to thoughts and insights I may have overlooked. This is my first foray into anything other than 556 blasters, so my long range experience is very limited...

Some scopes I was thinking could potentially fit the bill:
    Used Vortex Razor 1-6x MRAD?
    Vortex PST GEN II 2-10X MRAD?
    Sig Tango6 1-6x MRAD or 3gun mil reticle?
    Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x Griffin Mil?
    Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10x Griffin Mil?
    Other options?

Scopes I currently use for reference include:
    Nightforce NXS 1-4X FC3G
    Trijicon Accupower 1-4x bdc
    Steiner p4xi 1-4x
    Vortex Razor Gen II-E 11-6x JM1
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    NXS 2.5-10 x24/32/42 if you find a reticle you like. With Zero Stop, they’re tough, lightweight and repeatable. I had one on my 12.5” Grendel the specific reticle I had (mildot) was simply too fine. A model with one of NF’s velocity reticles might’ve been a better choice. Right now I’m using Vortex Razor LH HD 1.5-8. I like it so far and have worked out the BDC with load out to 400 yards- which is as far as I’d shoot a deer with a Grendel.

Swaro Z3 3-9’s are also a nice option if a simple plex-type reticle is desired. I mounted one up but decided I wanted something that would compensate for drop.

Feedback Score
    I'd love a NXS 2.5-10, unfortunately finding one under $1000 is not easy.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a weaver tactical 3-10 on my grendel lightweight hunting rifle. It is a 1" tube and has an old SFP mildot reticle but good japanese glass and mil/mil resetable turrets. Can be had from natchezss for around $200. Probably too low budget for you but works well for the price.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTANASSHOLE View Post
    I'd love a NXS 2.5-10, unfortunately finding one under $1000 is not easy.
    I've bought and sold the 32mm models for less than $1k, you just have to look around. Try TOS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I've bought and sold the 32mm models for less than $1k, you just have to look around. Try TOS
    Im not familiar with TOS?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just got a 6.5G upper myself, with similar shooting ranges in mind.

What I'm running. Not that I'd necessarily get this today (historically ior had a few issues with turrets, though mine didnt). But it's what I had on hand, and it's a nice piece of glass, FFP, illum, weighs in at 21oz:
    https://www.cstactical.com/valdada-i...-8-dot-illumin

Of those you listed, I've actually been checking out the Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10x Griffin Mil myself, and is probably the one on your list I'd favor. Note that it has a bit shorter-than-usual eye relief, so make sure that won't be an issue for you.

You might also check out:
    * Nightforce SHV, which you can get under your $1k budget (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020604978)
    * Leupold 3-9x VXR Patrol rifle, a nice lightweight optic that comes in WAY under your budget (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009581380?pid=325418)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Just got a 6.5G upper myself, with similar shooting ranges in mind.

What I'm running. Not that I'd necessarily get this today (historically ior had a few issues with turrets, though mine didnt). But it's what I had on hand, and it's a nice piece of glass, FFP, illum, weighs in at 21oz:
    https://www.cstactical.com/valdada-i...-8-dot-illumin

Of those you listed, I've actually been checking out the Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10x Griffin Mil myself, and is probably the one on your list I'd favor. Note that it has a bit shorter-than-usual eye relief, so make sure that won't be an issue for you.

You might also check out:
    * Nightforce SHV, which you can get under your $1k budget (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020604978)
    * Leupold 3-9x VXR Patrol rifle, a nice lightweight optic that comes in WAY under your budget (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009581380?pid=325418)
    That's good to know about the eye relief thanks! I like the SHV, just dont like the reticles it's available with.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTANASSHOLE View Post
    Im not familiar with TOS?
    "The Other Site", aka ar15.com. He means check out for used NF optics in their for sale section.

Feedback Score
    Ended up with a Sig Tango6 1-6x that I picked up brand new for $415, as well as a used Razor Gen II 1-6x I snagged for $650.

Unexpectedly, after just one range session, I'd almost say I like the Tango6 better than the Razor. Better eye box, better reticle, equal glass, comes with a throw lever and lens covers, easy and smooth rotation from 1-6x. I'd say it's very similar to the p4xi, which is my all time favorite lpvo. The Razor does have better turret clicks (which doesnt matter much to me on a lpvo), and performed significantly better under low light. Outside of that stuff, both companies offer a similar warranty making either a decent choice.

However, having said all that I will probably sell both in favor of a NXS 2.5-10x or NX8 1-8x...