View Poll Results: What's more important?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional Training

13 44.83%
  • Maximizing Practice

10 34.48%
  • Upgrading one gun to suit the role, ie red dot

7 24.14%
  • Spare Guns, run the irons.

5 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weighing Equipment vs Ammo vs Training

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)

Weighing Equipment vs Ammo vs Training

PREFACE:

ON A BUDGET. Life is changing, that's about all I am saying.

Weighing out my options here and looking for a little advice.

I recently took a 2 day Vickers handgun class and want more.

I want MORE. I want to be BETTER.

QUESTIONS:

1). Would you give up an upper to buy a red dot? Say give up a secondary for your primary to upgrade the primary? I'd still have crucial parts as extra, like a bolt, FCG, etc.

I am currently just rocking a carry handle and a surefire X300 on a 10.3 (truck gun, AR pistol). I have used red dots in the past and really like them.

2). Am I right in thinking with ammo, training? Or should I stick to the path and keep running irons.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:

1). I have a few thousand rounds EA set back for .223/5.56 and 9mm.

2). I can afford to consume 500rds rifle and 800-1k pistol a month, while replenishing it, and while saving up for at least couple professional classes a year.

I might have left some factors out, but if you need more info, I'd be happy to answer pertinent questions in order to hammer this out.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hard questions to answer as those are based on your income and budgeting limitation. You could keep your [spare] upper and stretch your budget planning out a bit more and get the RDS without getting rid of the upper. Planned right, I think you could meet all of your goals: RDS, ammo and training. Look for sales and free shipping on ammo, save around the class schedules.

That said if you truly are limited and cannot budget around supporting all 3, the ammo and equipment are useless if you are not proficient in their use...so training, ammo, equipment.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 11-11-19 at 13:21.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Hard questions to answer as those are based on your income and budgeting limitation. You could keep your [spare] upper and stretch your budget planning out a bit more and get the RDS without getting rid of the upper. Planned right, I think you could meet all of your goals: RDS, ammo and training. Look for sales and free shipping on ammo, save around the class schedules.
    It's one of those things, where I can save up for a red dot, or save up for classes. I think the ammo for the practice and maintaining the skill I have is essential. It's why selling the spare upper came to mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I forgot to ask, how many classes (and timeframe) are you looking to try and take?
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    It's one of those things, where I can save up for a red dot, or save up for classes. I think the ammo for the practice and maintaining the skill I have is essential. It's why selling the spare upper came to mind.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would continue as you are, but RDS eventually. Cutting back on 10% of monthly ammo budget would have an Aimpoint PRO on your setup in about a year, if you are buying factory ammo. I rarely sell a piece of equipment that is fulfilling a role, such as a back up upper. It'd be different if you had 6 rifles and one of them was a configuration that you found useless.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 11-11-19 at 13:31.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I forgot to ask, how many classes (and timeframe) are you looking to try and take?
    Depends on the class, it took me 4 months to save up for the Vickers class. It was a 2 day deal.

I would say minimum 2, 3-4 would be more ideal in my mind, this next year.
    Last edited by RMiller; 11-11-19 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    1.). Training. That way you don’t waste the ammo and to let you know what equipment you really should be looking for.
    2.). Ammo to reinforce the training and let you truly understand your equipment.
    3.). Equipment that can enhance your capabilities. Is an RDS an enhancement of iron sights? Hell yes it is. Is that new VFG really going to improve your ability. Probably not. Spend that money on ammo or range fees.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Would you be a better shooter in more situations if you took just one more carbine class with your iron sighted gun, or didn't take another class and instead put a RDS on your gun today?

I would bet the RDS today would be a better return on investment since you already have what sounds like some professional carbine training under your belt.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I would continue as you are, but RDS eventually. Cutting back on 10% of monthly ammo budget would have an Aimpoint PRO on your setup in about a year, if you are buying factory ammo. I rarely sell a piece of equipment that is fulfilling a role, such as a back up upper. It'd be different if you had 6 rifles and one of them was a configuration that you found useless.
    I did think about that, but the upper just sits. The last time I shot it was when I zero'd it. Kind of feels like a waste when I could benefit from a red dot and incorporate it in my training.

Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    1.). Training. That way you don’t waste the ammo and to let you know what equipment you really should be looking for.
    2.). Ammo to reinforce the training and let you truly understand your equipment.
    3.). Equipment that can enhance your capabilities. Is an RDS an enhancement of iron sights? Hell yes it is. Is that new VFG really going to improve your ability. Probably not. Spend that money on ammo or range fees.
    I did like Larry's class and the focus on accuracy in a timely manner. I have drills set aside from it and am currently organizing them into a schedule for my range visits. This way I am not wasting ammo and efficient with my time.

The red dot is what I am stuck on, do I waste the ammo and time and training without one? I have a lot of time on irons, I just think the red dot will propel things forward.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Would you be a better shooter in more situations if you took just one more carbine class with your iron sighted gun, or didn't take another class and instead put a RDS on your gun today?

I would bet the RDS today would be a better return on investment since you already have what sounds like some professional carbine training under your belt.
    I took one years back in KY, carbine specific.

This most recent one was a handgun class, it's just reinvigorated a passion.

I have also a couple 2 gun competitions under my belt.

The last one I did rather well winning quite a few of the stages, I did have a red dot on that rifle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast