Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS Rules Gun Manufacturer Can be sued

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

SCOTUS Rules Gun Manufacturer Can be sued

Considering the make up of the court and prior legal precedent and law passed by Congress, a surprising decision. It seems based on a very narrow aspect, which will get them no place, but again, will use up $ resources of the company being sued which may effectively put them out of biz as well as a ripple effect within the industry:

Supreme Court refuses to block lawsuit against gun manufacturer brought by Sandy Hook families

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/2565344001/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Is anyone tired of all that winning, yet?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Automobile folks are gonna love this...

Feedback Score
    They didn't rule that they can be sued. They just didn't block the case.

I'd imagine it's all Roberts. The guy is just dickless. He knows what's right but he turns away anything controversial so he doesn't have to rule on it.

Also according to the article, the 2005 law is not absolute. However, I'm guessing they're going to find out that Remington is not liable, because what these families are alleging is that because the AR-15 is not designed for civilian use, they were responsible for marketing and selling it to civilians.

Honestly, it could plant the seeds for overturning a lot of bans.

That is, if Roberts ever takes a 2A case again.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 11-12-19 at 10:24.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    They didn't rule that they can be sued. They just didn't block the case.

I'd imagine it's all Roberts. The guy is just dickless. He knows what's right but he turns away anything controversial so he doesn't have to rule on it.
    It's effectively the same thing right? It clears the way for Remington to be sued and there's no higher court to prevent it, so it goes to court if I understand the results of their ruling.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    It's effectively the same thing right? It clears the way for Remington to be sued and there's no higher court to prevent it, so it goes to court if I understand the results of their ruling.
    They didn't block the suit from going forward, but they didn't acknowledge that the case was valid. The SC just basically punted.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    They didn't block the suit from going forward, but they didn't acknowledge that the case was valid. The SC just basically punted.
    This is my interpretation but I’m sure the media will spin this as another victory. Then when Remington wins the case just ignore it.. or claim it’s a partisan court.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Punted it to where? That's the highest court in the land, so where can it go from here? Does that not now allow the case to move forward as far as a lawsuit against Remington? There's no other court left to block it, so whether they said it has merit or not seems like that will now get decided in a court of law via a case right? What am I missing?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If I'm to understand, they aren't suing on the basis of the weapon itself, but rather the marketing practices.

Which is pretty effin lame if you ask me.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/busin...urt/index.html

A survivor and families of nine other victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting are attempting to hold Remington Arms Company, the manufacturer of the semi-automatic rifle that was used in the crime, partly responsible by targeting the company's marketing strategy.

Lawyers for the victims sued Remington contending that the company marketed rifles by extolling the militaristic qualities of the rifle and reinforcing the image of a combat weapon -- in violation of a Connecticut law that prevents deceptive marketing practices.

The rifle was "designed as a military weapon" and "engineered to deliver maximum carnage" with extreme efficiency, they argue in legal briefs.
    Basically, they aren't suing because it's an evil gun. They are suing Remington for marketing said evil gun.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Oh please put me on that jury. Please please please...
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast