22 23.40%
  • lever action carbine

48 51.06%
  • scout style bolt action

12 12.77%
  • something else

12 12.77%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: If semi auto firearms were not an option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    If semi's are not an option then it's time for full.
    Yep...
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    .44 Marlin levergun, .44 S&W Mountain Gun, .44 Ruger SBH. Plus I reload and I cast bullets that work in all of them.
    If things got really pushy/shovey they would all work with black powder. But I’m an old man with lots of Unique and 2400 on the shelf...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got the Dirty 30-30 racked and ready!

Feedback Score
    For a while now, I have been looking at the S&W 8 shot 327 with 4" barrel.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    I dislike the thread premise, but what the hell.

Not a fan of lever actions to be honest, and these days finding a good one is either going to cost $$$ or be a crap shoot. The Browning BLR would be my choice in the lever gun segment though, since I am not willing to step down to the relatively inefficient ballistics of most tubular magazine lever action oriented cartridges. I suppose if we are talking about a situation where you can still get parts, factory support etc then the BLR is not a bad choice if a lever is your poison. At least you get to enjoy real grown up high powered rifle caliber choices and ballistics. If the situation is one of no more factory support, limited parts, bad situation then one of the older Marlin or Winchesters would be my choice. I guess a 1895 Winchester in .30-06 would be no slouch, just need to get an optic on it somehow.

Personally my choice would be a bolt action since they are simple, reliable, and tend to lend themselves to being very strong and accurate. My hipster choice if we are able to get factory support and service is a Blaser R8, for all around work, probably a 20" .308 with a good low power variable in the 1-8X class, maybe a few other barrels/calibers for other chores or activities. Strait pull bolt so it is super fast to cycle, great trigger, and a reputation for stellar accuracy. I'd set it up more or less as a scout rifle. If service is not available then I'm building something on a Remington 700 pattern receiver so at least triggers, bottom metal, stocks, magazines etc can be used in the event something goes wrong. If it can be set up in .308 with an 18"-20" barrel of good quality, in a nice fiberglass stock or carbon fiber stock, with a good barrel, good trigger, and bottom metal that will run SR-25 mags or AICS (don't care which) then top it with a decent low to mid range magnification optic I'll be OK with that.

Sidearm, DA revolver with a good DA trigger service done on it. Not particularly picky about caliber, .357 or .44 will work, I lean towards the .44 if the situation is such that factory ammo or components are not readily available. A cast lead .429" bullet of 240gr doesn't have to be made to go as fast to be as effective or more effective than a cast lead bullet of .357" diameter that is 158gr for example.

So broken down into scenarios it looks like this:

1.) Situation allows for factory warranty and servicing, readily available ammo and reloading components:

Long gun 1st choice, Blaser R8 in .308 with a 20" bbl wearing a high quality low to mid magnification variable optic. Set up more or less like a scout rifle.

Handgun 1st choice, Korth Mongoose 4" bbl, with auxiliary 9X19mm cylinder. Figure out how to get a red dot on it.

2.) Factory service is no longer available, factory ammo limited, reloading components scarce, you are on your own.

Long gun 1st choice, Remington 700 footprint action for parts availability, I'd probably lean towards a Stiller Tac30, 18-20" bbl chambered in .308, lightweight composite stock, bottom metal made to run SR-25 mags for availability. Optic same as scenario #1. Chamber to be cut for reliability, and prefer a chrome lined hammer forged barrel of light to medium contour. The name of the game is durability and reliability with useful precision out to rifle engagement distances utilizing common ammo.

Handgun 1st choice, Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum, 4' bbl with some extensive work done on the action by someone like Hamilton Bowen to make the DA useable and tighten the gun up to make it shoot like it should. Not a big fan of Rugers but they are very stout and in a scenario where the gun has to work and continue working in an austere environment then that is my choice, plus they are very common so parts will be relatively available. The big bore makes casting bullets a viable ammo solution since velocity can be backed off to mitigate barrel leading while still maintaining effective power levels.

Feedback Score
    CD, Forgert this premise for a minute, I want that Rem 700 you just described.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    CD, Forgert this premise for a minute, I want that Rem 700 you just described.
    Well for the moment, this is still America and you can have it anytime you want. Even in commie controlled territories. I don't think anyone has any idea how things will be or where we will be headed 12 months from now...
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A Q Fix and Mini Fix

Light, straight pull bolt action fed from AR10/15 mags

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Oh hell.

A Tikka T3x Arctic and a S&W PC model 19.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Just for theoretical consideration, two S&W model 627 eight shot .357 revolvers and two mossberg 8+1 590 mariner shotguns. These will pretty much cover hiking, hunting, and an untoward social situation. Just some simple, basic, and easy to maintain items that can be had any state.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast