Thread: What do you think of this training regiment

Feedback Score

What do you think of this training regiment

I'm currently 6'1" maybe 6'2", and weigh about 250-260. Would an exercise regiment of walking for 70 minutes at a heart rate of 130 bpm (give or take) 5 times a week combined with weight lifting maybe 4 times a week, maybe 5, maybe 5 on the weights is pushing it but idk i'm pretty ambitious about this. My goal is to lose weight while gaining muscle/just getting in good shape in general. Will this work or should I lose the weight first and then do the muscle? If the original plan of walking/exercise is capable of working how many calories, grams of fat, protein and carbs should I consume per day, I live a very sedentary lifestyle.
    Last edited by dean2007; 11-16-19 at 17:42.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think 60 minutes of high speed walking is enough. I would substitute some light jogs for 15-20 minutes every other cardio day, stop and walk if you need to in order to get through it. 4 days a week for weights is plenty to start. Chest -Tri's / Back Bi's and put legs in one of those days. Understand, in the beginning, you don't have to do a lot to make good gains. STREEEEEETCH. Drink lots of water.

Mindset, your are going to do this forever, so if you miss a day, don't freak out and eat a cheesecake, just get back on schedule. For starters, quit eating trash and go low carbs. Eating is the hardest part. Good luck Dean.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Where can I find out how much calories, protein, carbs if necessary, fats etc on diet

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2007 View Post
    Where can I find out how much calories, protein, carbs if necessary, fats etc on diet
    Will Brink has some excellent content on this topic in this section of the forum. He's also written an ebook that is available free covering permanent weight loss. Reading that stuff is a great place to start.

Personally, I've found the MyFitnessPal app to be an effective way to track calories and nutrients. It's easy to use and is a really powerful tool if you're serious about losing weight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can Google damn near anything now. If you type in "calories in broccoli" it will be the first thing to pop up. I don't use any specific program and I use this method on just about all the food I eat. Once I develop a feel for how many calories are in most foods I eat, it's easy for me to get a close estimation of my intake. I'm a math kind of guy, so it might not be as easy for others.

To lose weight, you simply have to eat less calories than you burn. Using a basic figure that cutting 3500 calories equals losing one pound of fat, you can figure out how you much you need to eat to lose weight. Use this calculator https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr and click on the "caloric needs" button. Fill out the info. In your case, with a sedentary lifestyle, you would need about 3200 calories a day to stay at your current weight. If you want to lose 2lbs a week you would need to remove 7000 calories a week or 1000 calories a day. So, to lose 2lbs a week you are only allowed to eat 2200 calories a day. If you exercise you could eat more calories a day. I, personally, use the sedentary numbers to set my food intake and take any exercise I do as bonus weight loss.

My other rules are that I do not drink anything other than water, coffee, tea or sparkling water. I don't eat anything that comes out of a box and most items that come out of a can. I primarily only eat real foods, from real ingredients, that I cook myself. I try to keep my carbs below 50g per day. Because of this, I eat fatty meats to get my energy. Pretty much every dinner of mine is a meat dish and a vegetable side. Lunches are typically salads with added protein of meat, cheese, and hard boiled eggs. I mix it up with tuna and chicken salad for lunch. I'm not militant about the whole thing, but I do watch my calories like a hawk. I'll grab a cookie or a piece of cake knowing that I'm going to have to eat a salad to balance it out.

I also do not each breakfast, and limit my evening eating to no later than 8 pm. Skipping breakfast hasn't hurt me one bit and it's a great way to drop a bunch of calories per day.

Currently I do not work out. I have a pretty active lifestyle that includes a lot of working outside on my properties, carpentry work, and generally keeping moving. At his point I have lost 60 lbs in the last 9 months. No matter what you do, this needs to be a lifestyle change and one you can live with long term.

I'm not perfect, and I've been stuck at this point for a few weeks. I just keep on doing what I know works and sticking with it. I've had two other stalls up to this point and eventually I started losing again.

A sample meal for my wife and I is a 12oz New York strip steak and about 20 brussel sprouts each(split, covered in salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese) bake at 425 until cheese is crispy and sprouts are soft. Total calories is right about 700. I'm allowed 1400 calories a day on my plan, so that's half my intake. For lunch I can have a big tuna salad using a whole 12oz can and still stay way under 700 calories even with lots of mayo.

The other benefits of this weight loss is that I haven't been sick a single day since starting. My blood pressure has dropped from 138/80 to 120/70 and my cholesterol numbers have improved substantially.

Anyway, good luck. There are lots of threads in this section that you can read to help you out.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Instead of trying to count all your calories, try this. It has helped me a bit... although I'm weak and cheat some.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/c...-control-guide
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    ... I live a very sedentary lifestyle.
    Eliminate carbs and sugar. Even being sedentary you'll loose weight. Controlling your food is everything and becomes more and more important the older you get. Learn to cook.

Slowly ramp up. If you go too hard at first you will create a situation that is not sustainable.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Read the thread directly below this one by Will Brink for starters....