Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a Ruger GP-100 a solid .357 investment?

Feedback Score
    As mentioned before L frames are beefed up to handle more full house magnum loads. They will however still shoot loose with very high round counts. The Model 19 and 66 (same thing only stainless) had a problem of shooting loose but also were prone to the forcing cone cracking with bullet weights under 158 grains, which back in the day was 125 and 110 grains. The heavier bullet was easier on the forcing cone but the increased recoil stress was harder on the frame.

There are none of these worries with the GP100 and most other Ruger revolvers, they are like bank vaults. Another tidbit is the cylinder stop notches are also between chambers on a Ruger while S&W puts them centered on the chamber. This results in a much thinner cross section. You really have to watch shooting heavy "magnum'ish" handloads in the big N frame .45s. It's pretty frightening how thin the steel is from the outside wall of the chamber to the centerline of the cylinder stop notch. Ruger has no such affliction. It's not much of an issue except in the .45 Colt and ACP guns, the N frame S&W model 27 & 28 are stout as hell in .357.

Feedback Score
    Just got a Rossi .357 lever action (16") so now I have a handgun/long gun combo in .357 Magnum!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I can say for sure the GP100 will likely outlast you and your billfold.

We ran 10,000 round 357 Magnum tests at FLETC in 80s with 158 gr. JHP Mag ammo and the Security Sixes and Speed Sixes held up fine. Still in time at 10,000 rounds. The Border Patrol burned up 60,000 rounds in that testing and I burned up another 40,000 in mine.

When I left FLETC they had just passed 18,000 rounds on a GP100 4".

As I result I now have two GP100s with 6" barrels, two with 3" barrels. Had a 4" and traded it for a military generator and guy I traded it to is still shooting it.

I also have two Security Sixes w/ 4" bbls, one Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel and one with 3" barrel. All the above are stainless and I have one Speed Six w/ 6" barrel that is blued.

For social occasions I have two SP101s w/ 3" barrels.

They are absolutely tough.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 02-09-20 at 17:28.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123