Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a Ruger GP-100 a solid .357 investment?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Having owned and shot K frames in 357 extensively, they will shoot themselves loose with a steady diet of hot 357. As do 29s in 44 mag. If you plan to shoot it a bunch I'd go with the ruger.

I'd shoot full house 125s very sparingly in any revolver. In my 686, I won't fire a one. Stick with 158s, which is what the gun was designed for.

Feedback Score
    Mine is about 20 years old and has well over 10,000 rounds through it.
    Played gun games with it for a while.

The Ruger doesn't peen the cylinder notches the way a Smith does when used for racing.

The cylinder latch is not a handicap vs a standard Smith but the Smith can be enhanced, the Ruger no so much.

Go shoot the heck out of it. Your wrist (or your wallet) should wear out before the GP-100 does.

Feedback Score
    I have abused a .357 Blackhawk, the first pistol I bought, since the 1980s.

I have had the GP’s beefier cousin, the Redhawk, for a much shorter time. Shooting 45ACP in moon lips or speedloader fed 45 Colt.

They are solid and durable.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    I have a 3” GP-100 in .357 and have really been satisfied with this ultra reliable revolver. I have changed preferences from
    semi automatic pistols to revolvers. For me, they are more fun. I even like single actions since for me they help my concentration, and I believe my accuracy. OP, congratulations on your GP 100. You can load anything from hot .357 magnums to good old .38 special lead bullets!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12