Thread: Help identifying 30-06 Ammo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Help identifying 30-06 Ammo

I have two rounds of 30-06 that look a lot like the bullet of M855A1. This is older ammo from a great uncle that died 20 years ago. I was thinking he might have brought the rounds back with him from WWII but they do not have a date code on the Brass. Brass says 30-06 Sprg REM-UMC. I First thought armor piercing round but the ones I’ve seen in 30-06, 308, 50 bmg are painted tips.

Could this be just a ballistics tip round but instead of a plastic tip they used a steel tip due to technology?

https://imgur.com/gallery/ysxIbZo
    Last edited by ace4059; 11-16-19 at 19:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Looks like a Remington accutip boat tail factory load. The only thing is that Remington hasn’t used the umc logo for some time( like 1970). It’s usually just the r-p stamp. It could be a reload using old remmy brass with the accutip bullet. Are the tips metal or plastic like material? If metal they are probably Remington bronze tips factory loads from the 1930’s thru the 50’s. This would make sense with the umc headstamp. It’s hard for me to tell what the tip is made from with the pic I’m looking at. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mpddoug162; 11-16-19 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Edit: Doug beat me to it, yes bronze tip.

Someone on Imgur identified the bullet. It’s a Remington Bronze tip. The quick research it did says Basically a lead free design of its time and is comparable to a ballistic tip (steel instead of plastic). Could be from 1920-1960 but Remington stopped manufacturing this round because it was “armor penetrating” with the steel tip.

I was hoping it had a little more history behind it since he was in WWII and family found this while cleaning his house when my great aunt died.
    Last edited by ace4059; 11-16-19 at 20:36.

You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Edit: Doug beat me to it, yes bronze tip.

Someone on Imgur identified the bullet. It’s a Remington Bronze tip. The quick research it did says Basically a lead free design of its time and is comparable to a ballistic tip (steel instead of plastic). Could be from 1920-1960 but Remington stopped manufacturing this round because it was “armor penetrating” with the steel tip.

I was hoping it had a little more history behind it since he was in WWII and family found this while cleaning his house when my great aunt died.
    The tip was bronze not steel, bullet had a lead core and tip caused it to expand faster so not AP. Not sure when they quit making them but they are still on the Midway website.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601240379
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    Remington Bronze point. I have several boxes of it I bought in the 60s and had it stored away for years. IIRC correctly it was on sale where I worked for like $3.86 a box.