Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 vs Gen 5

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Gen 3 vs Gen 5

Being new to Glocks with the addition of the Gen 5's. Something keeps drawing me to a G17 Gen 3.
    WHY?? What is so good/better on a Gen 3 than any other Glock Gen model?
    The Gen 3, G17 will feel different in my hand, correct, from a Gen 5?
    Is the single recoil spring better/worse/same as the double spring??

It is the Cali Compliant model. 19/17 Gen 3's

Someone fill my brain about the Gen 3's. Would it be better than a G17 FS Gen 5? or a G35 Gen 5 MOS?

Thank You
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The Gen 3 has a totally different feel than the Gen 5. Finger grooves, chunkier grip, trigger is a bit different, grip texture is different. I’d recommend also trying a Gen 4 with medium backstrap as well as the Gen 5 with a medium backstrap. Those will have about the same grip size as the Gen 3, but a less blocky contour.

I like the Gen 4 G19 best, and thats what I’ve stuck with, but I also don’t think the differences are enough to really matter, as long as you pick one and stick with it.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gen 5.

Gen 3s were great. Gen 4s had some good improvements but I remember Gen 2s that had no finger grooves and that’s why Gen 5 is better. Like unless it was a super good deal, I wouldn’t go out of my way for a Gen 3

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I hated the feel of the Glock until the 5s came out. The Gen 5s are solid and unless someone has been shooting Glocks for a few generations, I wouldn’t recommend buying anything but the newest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The all feel the same to me. I'd prefer G5 for it's ambidextrous controls but G3 has been proven over and over and over again. Not going to go out of my way to buy a G5 but if I see a used one for a good price I might pick it up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Look around for a steal on a Gen 3 17 police trade-in.

https://aimsurplus.com/leo-trade-in-...3-9mm-handgun/
    Last edited by Business_Casual; 11-17-19 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    The Gen5 is, IMO, the best advancement in Glocks since they put the accessory rail on the Gen3s. The Gen4s, with the modular backstops were a good move. The 5th Gens are the hotness. Bettter grip, better trigger, better internals (yes those changed on the Gen5). People do say the Gen3s had a better trigger than the Gen4s, I don't disagree but we are talking about a already crappy Glock trigger. The Gen3s are what made Glock's name in the US market, the upgrades to the Gen5 are worth it.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    I own several Gen 3’s, including a 17. Fine guns, and I’ll be keeping them. Own one Gen 5. Given a choice, I’d go Gen 5. I think it’s a little more refined and I also like the grip and texture better.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    These are exactly the answers I was looking for. I have Gen 5, 19, 19x,(wife's) and 2, G45's. 1 of the G45 frames has a G19 MOS upper and RMR06.
    The 19 has the medium grip with beavertail and the others are bare bones on grip.
    Like I said, I have no clue WHY I had an urge to look at Gen 3's so hard. The LEO trade ins at AIM are nice but I buy new Blue Label for the G17 Gen 3 LEO trade in. Through GT Distributors I can get a NIB Gen 3 G17 for 398.20. WELL, not now, already OOS, email in stock last week.
    G31 Gen 4 in stock too same price.

I did pick up a G21 Gen 4 used like new for a very good price. Looked for a G20 upper for a conversion. 10mm yes, 40 nope.

Again, Thanks for the replies.

Added:
    I think since I have become very much enjoyed the Gen 5 Glocks, I was maybe trying to figure out if I had been wrong with the feel all these years.
    The BLOCKed feeling in my hands was one thing I hated, so the Gen 3 would still be in that category.
    Last edited by RWH24; 11-17-19 at 13:12.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Everyone is different. You're just going to have to play with both and see what you prefer.

I actually like the fingergroove frames of the Gen 3, but I also add a Hogue grip to give it more palm swell. I dremel down the Hogue fingergrooves so they're a little rounder.

Here's an example on my G23.

The Gen 5 frames feels a little more blocky to me. And doesn't seem to work with the Hogue grips.

The only Gen 5 I currently have is the 45. I sold my 19 & 19X.

But honestly, I don't think the feel of the grip has translated into me shooting one better than the other.
    Last edited by Dump1567; 11-17-19 at 14:45.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast