Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 vs Gen 5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Look...buddy... There are two things I never feel bad about spending money on. That’s trannies and Glock 19s.
    Sure sure but if it's a wash why order and wait to have delivered when the friendly neighborhood gun store is a mile away!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Sure sure but if it's a wash why order and wait to have delivered when the friendly neighborhood gun store is a mile away!
    Because I happen to enjoy sitting around in my Adidas sweats ordering G19s. Besides they unironically want almost 600 dollars red label and 400 PLUS tax for Blue label.

It’s most liberating.

I wish you could get a license to have guns shipped to your house. Liquor and smokes too.

I hate going to the gun store and I hate gun people.

I try not to talk to uhh umm what’s the word for you people umm

HUMANS. Yeah that’s it. I try not to interact with humans.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Because I happen to enjoy sitting around in my Adidas sweats ordering G19s. .
    Man you picked the wrong job!

Adidas! Waiting for Glock delivery!

Last edited by Arik; 11-22-19 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Replace that AK with an SR25 and that Mak with a G19 and lose the balaclava and that is literally no shit me rfn. Omg.

Like literally have Stoli next to my nuggies. Omg waaaat?

I’m also thumping trap music obscenely loud.

Man. Man. Man.

G19s bring out the best of people.

One Love, yo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Always had a love/hate relationship with Glocks but I have practiced/trained/competed with one extensively. Never liked the blocky feel to them but somehow was able to still shoot them decently. No experience with the Gen 5 and no interest in them either - although it does sound like they are "better". The HK VP9 is my jam now. I won't ever get rid of my G17 though...an older Gen 3 RTF model I bought way back when that still runs like a champ with God only knows how many rounds through her. Ameriglo sights and Haley Strategic skimmer trigger are the only mods I've ever done to her.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    Through GT Distributors I can get a NIB Gen 3 G17 for 398.20. WELL, not now, already OOS, email in stock last week.
    Another place you could check out is Central Police Supply in Houston. I just discovered them through the Glock dealer search and visited the store on Wednesday. Nice people, and their Blue Label price is $398 like GT. I don’t see any Gen 3 17s in stock on their site (didn’t look too hard), but I see a 19. They advertise free shipping for orders over $100.

Quote Originally Posted by StovePipe_Jammer View Post
    From what I've read, the cutout in the Gen 5 was done away with (front of magwell). Every LGS I've checked out has Gen 5's with that cutout, which is almost a deal breaker for me.
    The cutout was removed with the introduction of the 17 and 19 Gen 5 MOS models, and the G45 and just-released 17/19 FS models also don’t have the cutout. Picking one of those models is the best way to avoid the cutout. I’m not sure any “standard” (non-FS) Gen 5 17s or 19s have been made without the cutout.

I just picked up a Blue Label Gen 5 19 FS at Central Police Supply (that I mentioned above) after owning a Gen 3 19 for 12 years and carrying it for the past 7 years. I have two other Gen 3s, but I don’t think I’ll ever buy another after handling the Gen 5 (I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet). It addresses all the things that I didn’t really like about the Gen 3 (granted, those issues were all minor). I don’t have a problem with the concept of finger grooves, and they work well for me on the longer 17 grip, but on the 19, they are a little closer together, which causes my fingers to lay sort of halfway over the bumps. If I undercut the triggerguard, I’m sure it would help, but I just never felt like attempting that. I’ve also always thought that the Gen 3 grip texture wasn’t “aggressive” enough, especially when sweaty, and the style introduced on the Gen 4 and continued with the Gen 5 is much better. The Gen 4 texture without finger grooves feels great to me.

The magazine release on the Gen 3 always seemed a little small to me, and while it worked fine, I prefer the larger one introduced on the Gen 4. I like the extended one offered by Tango Down, which I have on order, and I think the slightly smaller grip on the Gen 4/5 combined with the larger mag release makes it easier to operate in a hurry.

The forward serrations are what seal the deal for me on the Gen 5 G19 FS. I’m not really a press check guy, but I do it occasionally, and the slick sides of previous Glock models just don’t offer much to grab on to forward of the breach. I think any additional aid for manipulating a weapon is a plus, so I really like that they added those and are apparently planning to make them standard on future models.

I love my Gen 3s. I never bought any Gen 4s, with the exception of the quasi-Gen 4.5 G43, because I thought my Gen 3s were good enough. But I’m sold on the few extra improvements they made with the Gen 5, now that they’ve done away with the cutout. I’d personally recommend Gen 5s going forward for those reasons.
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 11-30-19 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    Just picked up 17.5 to shoot GSSF matches with. Off with the sights and on with some Dawsons. It's the first of several Glocks (Gen 3 & Gen 4) that I may be able to actually learn to like. The Gen 5 is definitely better feeling and more accurate than prior versions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The improvements to the Gen 5 Glock are no-brainers. If/when you do your research and do a deep dive on it, you will be convinced. Google is your friend, as per the usual. All of my Glocks are now Gen 5 Glocks.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've owned, conservatively, probably 12-15 Gen 3 Glocks over the years. The only one I kept was an Austrian-proofed 19 from the Obama scare, because it's just cool and I shoot it great. Never owned a Gen 4. I'm currently at 4 Gen 5s and there's just no real comparison unless saving money is the most important criteria. The 17.5 with no grip insert fits my hand better than any Glock I've had. My only real complaint is that the trigger spring is now in a housing, which is like $5 more than the spring itself used to be, but if it lasts longer, then I don't care.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All said and done I’m probably never getting a gun from PSA again. The “deal” was a wash. But I was on Stoli and can’t resist G19s.

It needs Dawsons and an extended mag release. That said the one I got was USA made so it’s my patriotic Glock.

Probably could’ve gotten a blue label Gen 5 but maybe next time.

Gen 4 mag releases have spoiled me. My Gen 3 G34 came with an extended mag release.

Still, it’s not bad.

Mr. Vickers was right when he said Glock should’ve just made the Gen 2 with a WML rail and called it a day.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast