Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 vs Gen 5

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The gen5 is the best glock (and possibly best handgun) to ever be produced. It will make the gen4 be the forgotten generation. Unless you live in a state where Gen5’s aren’t on the approved list I see no reason why anyone would go with a previous gen besides maybe nostalgia.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 11-17-19 at 17:09.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you like tinkering and frame mods then gen 3 all day long. Out of the box with no mods the gen 5 is pretty hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Between my gen 3’s and my gen 5 17 I think the trigger is better in the gen 3. The gen 5 just doesn’t have near the same wall. Not bad just not as good. I prefer the back strap of the gen 5 and wish there was a better back strap than what is currently available in the grip force.

Feedback Score
    I shot the gen 5 this weekend. I see no nothing as an upgrade, just changes. I can see how the no finger grooves will appeal to people. The rest are changes and not upgraded. Seems glock went back to the gen 2 with the 1 pin. And why did they need to change the locking block size? the marksmen barrel is "maybe" a upgrade. maybe. I went there to buy a gen 5 but ended up getting a gen 4. Would have gone 3 but they did not have any in stock.

The gen 5 isnt even strong enough to support 40 or 357 sig. That says alot right there.

Feedback Score
    I stick with g4/5. The g3 grip is big enough to cause ergo issues for me (cant reach controls well).
    Gen5 is more accurate. It shoots closer to, but not quite as well as my kkm in gen4.
    Flared magwell is an advantage, especially if competing with it.
    I can get away with more on the gen5 trigger, especially at speed.

I dry fire and train with a gen 4 with NY trigger, and carry compete with a stock gen5.
    Not a huge difference, but all the small tweaks add up to a much nicer experience and slightly better performance for me.
    I dont shoot from the wall so I like the gen 5 trigger. If you do, you probably wont.

Edit- I like the front slide serrations too... if for nothing else, they make dry-fire much more convenient.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-18-19 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My biggest issue with previous gens is doing malfunction drills as a lefty. It's a cluster fk of juggling. Otherwise i don't see what all the tinkering and frame mods is all about.
    Last edited by Arik; 11-18-19 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    My biggest issue with previous gens is doing malfunction drills as a lefty. It's a cluster fk of juggling. Otherwise i don't see what all the tinkering and frame mods is all about.
    After owning and shooting 1911's, BHP, Beretta, S&W, Sig pistols in my adult career as a LEO, picking up a coworkers Glock to shoot in the 80's, It felt weird. I could not hit diddly squat with it either. It was a G 17 Gen 1, 2, IDK. Didn't like it, handed it back to the owner.
    Issued Sig 226 for duty carry from 90ish to 2008 when I retired. A friend came by and showed me his new 19x.
    Wife liked it, I liked it so I bought her one and I waited for the G45.
    I have not shot a lot since retirement, not as much as when I was on the range several times a month while working.
    Maybe I have lost some of that muscle memory I developed over the years.
    The Gen 5 feels very good in my hand. My old Sig 226/239 DA/SA feels very ODD. M&P's still feel good, as does S&W revolvers.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    I shot the gen 5 this weekend. I see no nothing as an upgrade, just changes. I can see how the no finger grooves will appeal to people. The rest are changes and not upgraded. Seems glock went back to the gen 2 with the 1 pin. And why did they need to change the locking block size? the marksmen barrel is "maybe" a upgrade. maybe. I went there to buy a gen 5 but ended up getting a gen 4. Would have gone 3 but they did not have any in stock.

The gen 5 isnt even strong enough to support 40 or 357 sig. That says alot right there.
    I had always avoided Glocks due to the controls. My hands didn't allow for easily hitting the mag release when needed and I had to uncomfortably shift my grip to do a mag change. When the Gen 4 came out, I finally gave one a home in my safe and have been shooting the Gen 4 G17 more than any other pistol I have. Mag changes are quick without being unintended with the larger release. I guess I'm weird, I enjoy the finger grooves, as it allows the same grip each time and it's obvious if my grip is off.

From what I've read, the cutout in the Gen 5 was done away with (front of magwell). Every LGS I've checked out has Gen 5's with that cutout, which is almost a deal breaker for me. Not a fan of getting bit, even occasionally, by the gap while shooting. The marksman barrel does seem like a nice toss-in but the finish doesn't seem to have good reviews for lasting.

I'm still going to shoot a Gen 5 to see if it's worth the money to "upgrade" but if it's not leaps and bounds over the Gen 4, I'm sticking with what I've got.

Feedback Score
    The trigger on the gen 5 is a giant improvement and worth it if you plan to leave it stock. If you are going to change out parts, then get whichever is more ergonomic to you.

Feedback Score
    The one i shot had no difference in the trigger between it and a gen4.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast