Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello, new old guy

Feedback Score

Hello, new old guy

Hello folks. I just signed up and have a question or two but will introduce myself first.

I’m a retired guy, 60’s, been doing firearms since shooting game for food in se OK as a kid.

Not new to this kind of rifle, did 12 years usn where I was issued s 1st gen m-16 (trained on m-60, m203, mortar at Pendleton grunt school). So been away a long time as I was soured on the ones we had and went ak after getting out. My point I I like getting schooled but am not a boot.

Probably bored most into changing threads but If anyone is left I just wanted to share what I will be picking up tuesday and do you guys think I messed up. Was out of tge country 10 years and way behind on everything.

From the exchange at tinker afb I ordered this in black.

https://blackrainordnance.com/produc...series-rifles/

I do not care for the emblems and engraving, or don’t care about them one way or another I should say, and after seeing the website I don’t care about the bro stuff.

I do care about the price. I got 15% off the sale, 5% off using a star card, 20.00 gift card and 50.00 veterans day discount. So take in consideration it was about 670.00 and hard to pass up. Right in my price range.

I will mostly target shooting regularly, home defense and if the SHTF I have a number of medical problems (100% va), am positive from Agent orange, so my stand would probably be from home.

Also I got a cheap red dot to go with it. A trueglo true-tec with green laser.

Anyway, thoughts? Bad screw up? Wouldn’t be my first.

Sorry about the long post but wanted to say I am a rookie here, but not a “bucket of steam, “bulkhead remover”, “batteries for the sound powered phones” type rookie.

Thank you for allowing me to join

Feedback Score
    I think you did good, I've heard decent things about that brand. The optic might need to be upgraded but for planking it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I wouldn't have bought that optic. At our age I wouldn't have bought a RDS at all without trying one first. Astigmatism (sp) won't allow any sort of precision shooting with a dot sight. You may be a candidate for LPV scope.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I wouldn't have bought that optic. At our age I wouldn't have bought a RDS at all without trying one first. Astigmatism (sp) won't allow any sort of precision shooting with a dot sight. You may be a candidate for LPV scope.
    I don’t have astigmatism but your post saved me from spending $. Mid-50s and wondering if LPVO is really the only (financially responsible) choice left for me. Or not.

I was nigh unto buying an Aimpoint T2, or EO Tech, or possibly both.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    I think you did good, I've heard decent things about that brand. The optic might need to be upgraded but for planking it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Thank You

Thanks for the tip. I don’t have any astigmatism, pretty good actually except for reading especially since cataract surgery. Trying it by hand it seems good inside and out, but will have to try it shooting. Good to know, thanks. Will check it out.

Not at all familiar with any kind of optics other than iron. Was kind of on the spot without time to research.
    Last edited by Toltepequeño; 11-21-19 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree. The trueglo true-tec with green laser was not a wise choice. As GH41 said, it may very well be that a low-powered variable scope may be better suited for you. This means something in the nature of a 1-4x24, 1-6x24, or 1-8x24. There are several of these on the market in a broad price range ($130 to over $1500). An AR such as the Black Rain SPEC15 deserves something of better quality that a Tru-Glo optic. If you are set on a 1x optic, there are numerous good quality red-dot optics (usually with 2MOA dot) that are available in a variety of prices ranging from around $130-$200 and higher. I would not recommend anything with a laser.

Rifle scopes
    https://www.primaryarms.com/1+Scopes...X-~-6X,1X-~-8X

Cantilever Mounts
    https://www.primaryarms.com/1+Scope-...OpticType+30mm

Red-dot optics
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+EO...Red-Dot-Sights
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Thank you. I typically do not like combining things like that, but there was not much option and I needed to put it on the star card (military bases only). Maybe later I can upgrade.

Dumb question. I see holosun’s at tour bottom link. I understood they make the truglo tru-tec’s. Are they really that bad?

https://www.truglo.com/optics-red-dots/tru-tec-30mm-red-dot-sight-with-laser.asp

Not arguing that they are not, just trying to learn.
    Last edited by Toltepequeño; 11-21-19 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    I haven't fired that brand of rifle but have heard good things. Any firearm, IMO, that you can afford, cycles reliably and you can train and be proficient with is a win.

As others have said, depending on one's vision, an RDS may be right for some and wrong for others. If it works for you, run it. If not, there are plenty of options on the market. The link didn't show it with irons...if you don't have any, it's a good idea to get some flip-ups anyway. Batteries run low/die and you'll still be able to shoot it in that case. Other than that, I feel it's a good purchase. Let us know how it runs when you put it thru it's paces.

Feedback Score
    I will, thank you. Yes, absolutely out of practice. The only thing I shot 10 years in mexico (except when here on trips) was a .380 colt 1903. Better than nothing.

They told me they manufacture everything but the stock, grip and most mags. Don’t know if that’ good or not yet.

I have these on my list for now. Thst may change.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D74Z37G...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Last edited by Toltepequeño; 11-21-19 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    They look just like a low cost set that is sold under a few different names. I in fact got a set just like them to throw on a upper as a stop gap set, I'm trying out. The set I got was from a local gunstore, with that stocks Magpul, BCM and other brands, the upper will end up having a optic. Magpul pop-up sights are a benchmark for good low cost that last. But if you get them from Amazon watch out for airsoft "fake" ones I got a set of them a few years back that way. Now a small tip get a few quality magazines if you have not already done so.
    Oh and by the way welcome to M4 Carbine.net
    NRA Life Member.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast