Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else struggle with MBUS pros?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Anyone else struggle with MBUS pros?

Serious question, I want to love these but I just can’t seem to shoot well with MBUS Pro sights. I can shoot fine with A2 sights, with the ARMS back up sight on my issued patrol rifle and with the regular MBUS sights, but I just can’t seem to shoot at all with the pros. I’ve tried both the regular and offset versions (both definitely legit and not knock offs and solidly mounted). For some reason the sight picture always looks kind of blurry to me. I don’t know if it’s the fact that the finish is kind of shiny and maybe it’s creating glare or if it’s the huge size of the area surrounding the rear aperture, which everyone who writes about them says is a great feature.

Before I try spraying them with some flat black or selling them I figured I would ask if anyone else had this issue and if anything fixed it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    ......or if it’s the huge size of the area surrounding the rear aperture, which everyone who writes about them says is a great feature.
    I was on a PD at one point which had a firearm staff which ONLY allowed large rear aperture sights on long guns. The stated reason was low light.

It was one of the more ignorant things that came out of that group, though they were a bit better in most other areas thankfully. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but the large hole doesn't help most people, so you may find one of the inserts which knocks it back to a smaller and inherently more accurate sight picture.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    The one or two times I’ve shot rifles with the MBUS PRO I didn’t like them and didn’t shoot as well. I find my eyes work much better with the standard MBUS which is fine with me as they are primarily back up sights to some optic and a bit cheaper.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I was on a PD at one point which had a firearm staff which ONLY allowed large rear aperture sights on long guns. The stated reason was low light.

It was one of the more ignorant things that came out of that group, though they were a bit better in most other areas thankfully. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but the large hole doesn't help most people, so you may find one of the inserts which knocks it back to a smaller and inherently more accurate sight picture.
    Appreciate the input. Just to clarify, I'm talking about how the aperture is surrounded by a rather large piece of steel, unlike most other sights which have just a thin circle surrounding the opening. I'm thinking that I'm going to initially try hitting them with some flat black spray paint and seeing if that reduces the blurryness I'm experiencing with the aperture. I would switch to regular MBUS sights but I like my Geissele mount so I'd like to stay with offsets. It seems like KAC is the only other offset sight that can match the Magpuls for having a well designed profile but I'm having a hard time getting around the cost. If anyone has any other suggestions for offsets though, I'm open.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you’re not against fixed sights, Griffiin Armament (?) makes a neat setup using dual aperatures. Of course, there is always the Surefire/Dueck Defense setup.

I understand concerning the amount of material surrounding the aperature. A matte finish may indeed make it less noticeable

Feedback Score
    I have only used MBUS pros (on owned rifle). I got a decent 100yrd zero and kept it there. I was very satisfied with the sights. Most of the groups I shot were good. I had to re-adjust after I put a new stock on. That was after 6+ months of not taking the rifle out and I noticed that I had greatly adjusted the rear sight for windage.

What range did you zero at?

For me, I already knew my hold-overs and started my re-zero at 25 yrds and worked my way out to 100yrds.

Do you have another iron sighted AR that is zeroed to the same range as the one with MBUS pros? You might want to try taking them both to the range and comparing them. I would ask someone else at the range to shoot the rifles so that you can compare the differences in shot placement, if possible.

Hope this helps dude.
    Last edited by Rattler5; 11-19-19 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have them on a few MRO guns as back ups.

While obviously slower than the RDs, accuracy with the irons was completely adequate for me using the smaller aperture.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I looked through them again today and something about them just doesn't work for me. They seem to work for a lot of people though so I threw them up on the EE and might try a set of the Midwest Industries offsets. They look like a more traditional profile, so I'd like to see how that works out for me. Thanks to all of you for trying to help with this.

Feedback Score
    I thought the rear aperture on the Midwest Industries offsets was too big until I tried it at 50 and 100 yards. They're great. Give them a shot.
    Their customer service is excellent too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I really like my MBUS pro front sight, but the rear sight (pro LR) I'm not fond of for the same reasons you mentioned. Large aperture, large area sorrounding the aperture, and the aperture itself actually moves in the housing.
    I plan to swap it out when I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast