Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tact hand held light with 1000 lumens

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Surefire EDC-LT2, you can get it on Amazon for about 120.00 with a box of batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I assume you already have a WML? If not then an X300U or TLR1 HL if you are on a budget.

Before I recommend something, what is your intended use? Just for SD use? Other? Is USB rechargeable Ok or do you just want to use CR123 batteries?

Also nowadays with any quality light there is no reason to worry about total or actual lumens.

Dennis.
    On the slide to the big 80, if needed, want to blind someone getting into my shit at home or vehicle breakdown. Need every edge i can get, therefore I figured 1000 lumes would work

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Unfortunately blinding effects can vary by person and situation with no guarantees on how someone will react. Although I do believe more light is always better, you need to practice how to use it. Lights are so bright nowadays you don't need to point them straight ahead to light the way, especially into white walls or mirrors... The floor or ceiling should be your default unless otherwise required.

I have owned every generation of Surefire light and pretty much every other brand but for the past few years I have been using Klarus tactical lights which offer much more usability and are easily USB rechargeable. They have true Tactical switching where you always get full power or strobe when you press but with easily selectable lower powers. There are various sizes depending on your preference.

Largest size, lumens, and runtime. Not belt concealable. I carry one on my duty vest.
    - klarus XT21X 4000 Lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCFWD2B..._qLk1DbNQAVX3G

Smaller but with a large head, so not easily belt concealable.
    - Klarus XT11X 3200 Lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNDD3QF..._NMk1DbVDRBZ3E

Same large head but with easier to use tailswitch which unfortunately precludes use in a Kydex belt holster.
    - Klarus 360X3 3200 Lumens, 360 Degree Omni-Directional Dual Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFZCXTR..._KNk1Db6EM3FMV

Concealable. My off duty EDC.
    - Klarus XT2CR 1600 Lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074L29HRV..._2Qk1Db0M4ZCW5
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-19-19 at 23:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Don't buy a thing right now, it is not quite available yet but the next thing is going to be laser flashlights. This one has over a million candela.

https://www.amazon.com/ACEBEAM-W30-T...language=en_US
    I think you are talking about LEP (laser excitation phosphor) lights. Yes they throw very far, but they don't have much in the way of spill so for the class that he is going to...no bueno.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Unfortunately blinding effects can vary by person and situation with no guarantees on how someone will react. Although I do believe more light is always better, you need to practice how to use it. Lights are so bright nowadays you don't need to point them straight ahead to light the way, especially into white walls or mirrors... The floor or ceiling should be your default unless otherwise required.

I have owned every generation of Surefire light and pretty much every other brand but for the past few years I have been using Klarus tactical lights which offer much more usability and are easily USB rechargeable. They have true Tactical switching where you always get full power or strobe when you press but with easily selectable lower powers. There are various sizes depending on your preference.

Largest size, lumens, and runtime. Not belt concealable. I carry one on my duty vest.
    - klarus XT21X 4000 Lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCFWD2B..._qLk1DbNQAVX3G

Smaller but with a large head, so not easily belt concealable.
    - Klarus XT11X 3200 Lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNDD3QF..._NMk1DbVDRBZ3E

Same large head but with easier to use tailswitch which unfortunately precludes use in a Kydex belt holster.
    - Klarus 360X3 3200 Lumens, 360 Degree Omni-Directional Dual Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFZCXTR..._KNk1Db6EM3FMV

Concealable. My off duty EDC.
    - Klarus XT2CR 1600 Lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074L29HRV..._2Qk1Db0M4ZCW5
    I see you have discovered the Klarus line....Kudos...I have mentioned many times that they have the best tactical UI on the market and I still think so. My original XT11 was a complete workhorse and lived way past the abuse I put it through, while outperforming its Surefire counterparts for less money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been very happy with my Streamlight Pro Tac HL x.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I carried a SF Fury PX3 for years at work and was very satisfied with it. Just upgraded it with a Fury DF that is better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Will be attending a Low Light Course, searching for a hand held light with 1000 lumens. On Amazon, the number 1 complaint is the advertised lumens is BS.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    It's not the lumen rating one should look at, it's how bright the light actually is. This is a measure of luminous intensity, which is best indicated by a light's candela rating;

• Lumens is a measure of luminous flux (total output of the light in all directions)
    • Candela is a measure of luminous intensity (how bright the light appears as a point source)
    • Lux is a measure luminance (how brightly a target is illuminated)

Note that when measured at a distance of one meter, candela and lux render the same rating. Most flashlight manufacturers who rate their lights by lux (Malkoff, for example) take the measurement at one meter. So for the purposes of this discussion, we should use the candela or lux rating of a light to determine (1) how bright it will appear to someone looking at it and (2) how far the beam will illuminate a target.

For a WML on a carbine, I would absolutely look for the most candela/lux and ignore lumens. The Modlite OKW light (680 lumens/69,000 candela) is a superb choice for this use, and is also available as a handheld.

If you are looking for a light that can be both handheld or weapon mounted, the selection may seem endless. In that case, I would get the light with the most candela with the following features;

• A simple UI, preferably a momentary-only tailcap switch (like the Surefire Z41) and single-output only. I would generally avoid programmable lights.
    • Robust construction, a brand with an established track record in LE or Mil use.

The Elzetta, Modlite and Surefire lights previously mentioned would be good choices, and to that list I would add Malkoff. For a carbine course where targets may need to be illuminated at a distance, I would look for something with at least 30,000 candela.

I'm a Malkoff fan so here are a few lights you may want to look at;

Hound Dog 18650 - 1,000 lumens/29,000 lux. HD 18650 head and MD2 body (about $200). This setup would run on a single 18650 rechargeable cell;

Hound Dog Super - 1,700 lumens/75,000 lux. HD Super head and MD3 body (about $300). This setup would run on a pair of 18500 Li-ion rechargeable cells;

There is also an endless selection of cheaper Chinese imports, some better than others but none as good as the tier-1 brands listed above.

I hope this helps!

Edit to add beam shots

Here are some beam shots I think will be helpful;

• Modlite OKW = 680 lumens/69,000 candela
    • Modlite PLH = 1,500 lumens/29,000 candela
    • Surefire DF = 1,500 lumens/15,000 candela (est.)

The following were taken at a distance of 21 feet.

Malkoff Bodyguard - 1,000 lumens/12,000 lux (est.);

Malkoff MD3-M91T - 750 lumens/19,000 lux;

Malkoff Hound Dog Super - 1,700 lumens/75,000 lux;

Looking at the above beam shots, it's useful to compare the ratio of candela/lux to lumens: the higher the ratio, the more focused the beam is resulting in a brighter hot spot with less intensity in the spill. But even lights like the Modlite OKW and Malkoff Hound Dog Super have wide spill that is bright enough to maintain situational awareness (able to illuminate targets at close range).

Much will depend on usage. For a WML on a carbine, I'd go with a higher ratio of candela to lumens (more tightly focused beam to illuminate targets at greater distances). For a WML on a handgun or shotgun, I'd go with a lower ratio (more even illumination across the beam), but would still want to maintain around 20,000 candela for blinding effect.

There is no shortage of lights that can meet these specs. The biggest concerns are (1) simple to use under stress; (2) that will stand up to abuse and (3) work every time without fail the way they are expected to.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 01-13-20 at 07:26.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Surefire EDCL2-T. Single push button that gives 5 lumens when pressed lightly, and 1200 when pressed hard. No double click or hand jive to get different levels. 5 is great for near and details and saying "Hello", while the 1200 is good for "F off".
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I just picked up a SureFire E2D Defender Ultra E2DLU that has 1000 Lumens. I've carried an older version of the LED Defender for probably 8 or 10 years, and just gifted it to my son, who needed something for a low light shoot with his department real quick. (he's a rookie officer, just starting out) I had thought the the old one powerful, (200 or 300 lumens) but this new one is mind boggling how bright it is, and how far it will throw the light.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 03-12-20 at 06:34.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast