Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joe Biden wants to ban 9mm pistols that can hold 10 or more rounds

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    He’s as sharp as a marble.
    That's right - to Joe a metric caliber is bad and sounds like an evil import flooding the US Market. That's why my Glock 17 only shoots .355 caliber ammo and my AR's only shoot .223 ammo. How could a scholar like Joe argue with the average American having only a tiny .223 bullet to shoot? It's only good for squirrels and such.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Cam slow Joe even spell metric without assistance?

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Because they're to wrapped up in the second two words; "well regulated". They think it means they can pass whatever laws they want, when it actually means that the "militia" as "the whole of the people" should be sufficiently trained to guarantee the security of a free state, and unfettered in what "arms", a general term meaning "any and all", they may possess to do so...
    Yep, "well regulated" means sufficiently trained and stocked, iirc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    These people delegitimize themselves every time they open their mouths.

In the end, they will merely create a nation of scofflaws, and their edicts will be ignored.

Irish Democracy.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

Snip.

So if I were to go to a 10 round state and I wanted to take a pistol, I would take a pistol that only held 10 rounds or less and had no way a larger capacity magazine could be inserted.
    For anyone that hasn't read, and I'm not calling you out specifically, the new copy and paste "assault" weapon bans that are being proposed nationwide, one of the defining characteristics is having the CAPABILITY to accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. The one that was passed in the city of Pittsburgh earlier in the year has this wording. I believe the one in Virginia also has this wording. There were two more worded the same way but I can't remember where they were proposed.

That basically makes every semi auto illegal since there are aftermarket manufacturers that make magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Just some food for thought in case anyone didn't know or hasn't read the new bills.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    For anyone that hasn't read, and I'm not calling you out specifically, the new copy and paste "assault" weapon bans that are being proposed nationwide, one of the defining characteristics is having the CAPABILITY to accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. The one that was passed in the city of Pittsburgh earlier in the year has this wording. I believe the one in Virginia also has this wording. There were two more worded the same way but I can't remember where they were proposed.

That basically makes every semi auto illegal since there are aftermarket manufacturers that make magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Just some food for thought in case anyone didn't know or hasn't read the new bills.
    As far as I know everything in Pittsburgh was shot down by Pa supreme Court

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post

The VA Senate AWB Bill for 2020 (SB16) doesn't address the capacity of the detachable magazine, only that if a semi-auto can accept one, and it has one other feature, it is an AW. It does limit fixed mag semi-autos to 10 rounds:

A. For the purposes of this section:
    397 "Assault firearm" means:

398 1. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an
    399 explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

400 2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an
    401 explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of
    402 the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes
    403 conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a thumbhole stock; (iv) a second handgrip or a
    404 protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (v) a bayonet mount; (vi) a grenade launcher;
    405 (vii) a flare launcher; (viii) a silencer; (ix) a flash suppressor; (x) a muzzle brake; (xi) a muzzle
    406 compensator; (xii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a
    407 muzzle brake, or (d) a muzzle compensator; or (xiii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in
    408 clauses (i) through (xii);

409 3. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an
    410 explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

411 4. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an
    412 explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of
    413 the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a thumbhole stock; (iii) a second
    414 handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (iv) the capacity to accept a
    415 magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (v) a shroud that is attached to, or
    416 partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the pistol with the
    417 non-trigger hand without being burned; (vi) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the
    418 pistol is unloaded; (vii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c)
    419 a barrel extender, or (d) a forward handgrip; or (viii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in
    420 clauses (i) through (vii);

421 5. A shotgun with a revolving cylinder that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an
    422 explosion of a combustible material; or

423 6. A semi-automatic shotgun that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a
    424 combustible material that has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock, (ii)
    425 a thumbhole stock, (iii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the shotgun, (iv)
    426 the ability to accept a detachable magazine, (v) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds, or
    427 (vi) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (v).

The problem with the wording is that "has the ability to accept" is pretty open ended and depending on how it's interpreted can include a lot of things that are considered legal under something like California law. For example, an SKS can accept a detachable magazine, even though it wasn't designed to and may be configured with a fixed mag. So, would an SKS with a bayonet lug and original fixed mag be banned, or not? It's a bill worded to intimidate by being intentionally vague.

And as if things weren't already bad enough, they added this nonsense at the end:

428 "Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify,
    429 or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily
    430 assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been
    431 rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or
    432 relic as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234