Thread: Trijicon MRO vs MRO Patrol?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Trijicon MRO vs MRO Patrol?

I've decided to try out the Trijicon MRO optic and am stuck with a decision...

The MRO can be had for $380 without a mount. I don't care for the factory mounts and would prefer a scalarworks which runs at 150, bringing the total to $530.

The MRO patrol can he found for $580 and includes a great mount.

So a $50 difference. Not a significant enough amount to go one way or the other.

However, the extra "features" of the patrol may be lost on me. I would remove the lens caps just because I'm to lazy to flip them when using the sight and I'm not operating operationally, so no real harsh environments for me.

That leaves the kill flash and what I guess is my main question. I have never used one before so I don't even know if I'm missing out on anything. I know you cannot add one to the standard MRO and if I remove it from the patrol there is a left-over steel ring that is just unnecessary. Would I be better off with or without the kill flash? Most of the shooting I do is outdoors from shaded locations. Think open air ranges. I also use polarized sunglasses, which I find already cut down on glare. Would I notice the difference?

Unfortunately no one in my small circle has a kill flash or even an opinion on them so I'm left to the internet for guidance. What would you do? Would you buy the pro for the possible future need for a kill flash or the regular RMO and avoid the ring and stay with the scalarworks mount?
    Last edited by Bluto; 11-19-19 at 07:47.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The Kill Flash is so someone downrange (like a bad guy with a rifle or even a deer) can't see your optic front lens "flash" or glint in the light. If you aren't operating operationally or hunting really smart deer then you probably don't need it.

A sunshade would be for reducing the glare you see. Red dots don't really have these nowadays as they reduce the FOV and 1x usability.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-18-19 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd be shocked if the Patrol's mount works even remotely as well as a Scalarworks LEAP.

Feedback Score
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ac31018
    I believe a kill-flash can be added to a standard MRO. I've not bought one for my MRO. When I used a friend's MRO, which had the "kill-flash" accessory on his, it seemed to cut down a bit on light transmission (making the sight picture less bright).

I'm using the stock low mount on my MRO (mounted on my AK47; haven't tried it on my AR15) and can't comment on ScalarWorks vs. Trijicon's stock mounts. I'd be interested to read what the differences are if anyone can comment here.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I can't say they are as good as the Scarlarworks. However I have both the patrol and a couple standards. I can tell you that the Patrol mount is Leaps and bounds above the standard one. In fact I cant' stand the normal mount.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have two MRO's, both on Trijicon factory mounts; 1 non-QD and 1 QD. Both lower 1/3 height. I have no issues with either, and think they are solid mounts with no drawbacks. I do like the fact they are on the taller spectrum of lower 1/3, listed as 1.63" per Trijicon.

Re: killflash; I briefly had one, but found I had hard time using my irons (Magpul Pro) thru it, so I returned it.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    The MRO combo from Scalarworks is $519.