Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copper Fouling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    40% is probably a little premature for this, but 60% and out it is definite.

What happens when a barrel edges into its twilight years---and is still shooting 1-2moa, often maybe even better---is that it has considerable "fire cracking" in the throat area. This resembles a dry lake bed. THe spaces in between often fill with copper and "mask" this, functionally. When you go in there and strip out all of t he copper, the "mortar" between these "bricks" is gone, and 1 of 2 things happen. Closer to 40%, you usually just shoot terrible groups until it fills back in and the gun "settles down", and you motor on, OR, with the mortar gone, large swathes of "bricks" are ripped up and blasted down the bore, and you have, within a few dozens shots, a 1-2moa gun that is now a 3-6moa gun.

You can still clean old barrels, just don't try to take 'em down to bare metal!
    Good explanation.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    40% is probably a little premature for this, but 60% and out it is definite.

What happens when a barrel edges into its twilight years---and is still shooting 1-2moa, often maybe even better---is that it has considerable "fire cracking" in the throat area. This resembles a dry lake bed. THe spaces in between often fill with copper and "mask" this, functionally. When you go in there and strip out all of t he copper, the "mortar" between these "bricks" is gone, and 1 of 2 things happen. Closer to 40%, you usually just shoot terrible groups until it fills back in and the gun "settles down", and you motor on, OR, with the mortar gone, large swathes of "bricks" are ripped up and blasted down the bore, and you have, within a few dozens shots, a 1-2moa gun that is now a 3-6moa gun.

You can still clean old barrels, just don't try to take 'em down to bare metal!
    Not doubting you, but this is interesting stuff. Where can I go to read more about this?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Not doubting you, but this is interesting stuff. Where can I go to read more about this?
    I'd ask one of the high end barrel makers who also shoots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12