Thread: Altering Kydex holster shell to alter cylinder flutes?

Feedback Score

Altering Kydex holster shell to alter cylinder flutes?

I have a hybrid Black Arch holster that I use with my LCR .357.

I'd like to have one for my LCR .327, but the LCR doesn't fit the same holster because the cylinder flutes are different. (5 shot vs 6)

Black Arch doesn't make the holster anymore and I can't find another hybrid I like for the .327.

Has anyone ever heat up a Kydex holster shell to alter it in this way? Either to change the flutes or perhaps just smooth them out?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Easy if you have a heat gun like for stripping wallpaper. Put tinfoil on the rest of the holster to isolate the cylinder. Also remember that heat rises as you hold the part to heat it up and you need heat resistant gloves. It will take about 10-15 seconds to heat up the Kydex to be semi pliable, you will see the old flutes start to smooth out. Can't hurt to err on the side of caution to less heat/pliability. Once you have it semi pliable just insert the new revolver and mold the new grooves with your gloved fingers over and over as it cools.

The trick is to keep the heat only on the part you want to change and just use enough heat so you don't mess up the rest of the mold.

Good Luck!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!