Thread: To sew or not to sew?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

To sew or not to sew?

My sling setup is pretty simple. A Magpul MS1 with attachments at the castle nut using a Magpul ASAP QD plate and another QD forward on the rail.

In the last 2 years using this setup I haven't adjusted the sling at all. Everything is exactly where I want it. I've found the loose ends of the sling are unnecessary and have been considering having them cut off and sewing them closed. I have a local shop that can do it exceptionally well, so I'm not concerned about it unraveling.

Anyone do this already? Pros? Cons?

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Can’t you cut and hit it with a lighter to seal the ends instead of sewing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Once I get my slings adjusted to my satisfaction I always sew them but I have a sewing machine. I don't like the triglides and webbing tail.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Can’t you cut and hit it with a lighter to seal the ends instead of sewing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is exactly what I do. People sew the ends?!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    It's nylon right? So when heated it melts right? So burn the edge to seal the threads and save yourself a humiliating thread about using your sewing machine.

We've been doing this since nylon web gear became a thing....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    It's nylon right? So when heated it melts right? So burn the edge to seal the threads and save yourself a humiliating thread about using your sewing machine.

We've been doing this since nylon web gear became a thing....
    A sewing machine that can handle sling webbing is a manly thing. Fixing the length of a quick adjustable sling defeats the whole purpose, I guess it works on a range toy but I see it being detrimental to a duty rifle where odd firing positions and possible need to cut free might occur.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I think the poster is referring to sewing the sling to the swivels not sewing the ends. I use QD swivels and a Vtac sling and once I am satisfied that I have the correct length I sew the webbing to the QD swivels. A standard home sewing machine can do it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sorry I should have been clearer... The idea is to sew the ends directly around the swivels, eliminate keepers where possible (not the main adjustment slider, obviously) and remove extra "flapping" material. I am well aware of how to cut/burn nylon, but that will not accomplish what I am asking.

Thanks for the replies and if I do end up breaking out my Little Suzy Sewing kit and doing it myself I promise to post action pictures!
    Last edited by Bluto; 11-22-19 at 10:50.