Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Kimber “Optics Ready” system?

Feedback Score

Thoughts on Kimber “Optics Ready” system?

I keep threatening to buy a pistol with some type of RDS before my eyes require it due to age. I fondled a Kimber Aegis with their “OR” system and a Vortex Venom at a local fun store and it seems to be a good setup to my uneducated eye.

They also make a KHX OR that looks like it would be interesting

https://www.kimberamerica.com/khx-pro-or-2

Anyone here have any thoughts about the way Kimber accomplished bolting a RDS on a 1911?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It's a no from me. I'll explain why later.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    My eyes have been getting worse as I continue to climb in my 40's. Currently I use a RMR on a M&P 9c and it makes all of the difference in the world. The only issue I see in your post is the Kimber. For me I don't like the Swartz FPS that they have in it. To be clear, I'm not a Kimber hater as I have a couple that I bought in the late 90's, but anything with a II is a no go.
    USMC MSGT Ret. 1371

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton

Feedback Score
    I’m 60 and so far I can use irons in good light, if they are fiber optic and/or if they are tritium with a white ring around the tube.

I have a 5” 9mm Kimber Stainless II with the Schwartz safety. So far it hasn’t had any issues but to be honest I purchased it as an IDPA/range gun and didn’t realize it had a FPS since I bought it at the fun store on a whim. The Schwartz should be easy enough to bypass if it becomes problematic.
    The Stainless II is what started me down the 9mm 1911 road.

The KHX isn’t a “II” gun so it should be FPS free as I understand Kimber’s terminology.

So far I like my Commander length Ruger SR1911 Lightweight in 9mm. I had Novak’s put a front night sight on it. But the geek in me wants to try an RDS 1911, preferably Commander sized.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 11-19-19 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    For one, no respected 1911 gunsmith recommends Kimbers, and some don't even take them for work. Two-The Swartz safety is also a no go in my book. Hilton Yam says the same. Three-beyond that, my experiences with Kimbers were indicative of every reason I have ever been told not to buy a Kimber (I purchased one before I knew better). Wouldn't feed correctly, eject correctly, chamber had to be reamed to correct size. Went back twice. Then I still had to send it to Nighthawk Custom to get running correctly. The Colt Gov Models I own in 45 and 38 Super run great. Granted, they had reliability packages as part of turning them into custom builds. I'd recommend either spending top dollar on a Wilson Combat or custom build if you can afford it. If not, buy a standard 1911 and wring it out before sending it to someone like ATEI to have a RDS custom milled to your slide. Something like a Colt XSE or Springfield TRP is a good start if you aren't going full custom.

Feedback Score
    I realize Kimber guns ain’t what they used to be. Neither are Colts. The Aegis and KHX Kimbers don’t have a firing pin safety as far as I know. The Swartz is not with them. (Obligatory Space Balls joke)

I’m mainly interested in the RDS system Kimber uses where the mounting plate has a fixed suppressor height sight and replaces the back part of the slide.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    I realize Kimber guns ain’t what they used to be. Neither are Colts. The Aegis and KHX Kimbers don’t have a firing pin safety as far as I know. The Swartz is not with them. (Obligatory Space Balls joke)

I’m mainly interested in the RDS system Kimber uses where the mounting plate has a fixed suppressor height sight and replaces the back part of the slide.
    I've had a few Kimbers, from very first production run (which I should never have gotten rid of) to more modern examples. All ran, though one had a problem with locking open on empty Wilson mags. I only own one now for personal reasons. If you found some don't have a firing pin safety, you will, despite the Internet, probably be fine. Could you run spec ops level of drills? Probably not, but even Glocks have been known to fail on a wide scale (ask the NYPD).

If it's what you want, I would be far more concerned with the quality of the red dot than splitting hairs on the pistol. One caveat... buy Wilson magazines.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Thank you for sharing.

Feedback Score
    I would have to agree with the Preacher on this, stick with Springfield or Colt in that price range, maybe Dan Wesson. For the optic I would go with Trijicon for durability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast