Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Kimber “Optics Ready” system?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    For one, no respected 1911 gunsmith recommends Kimbers, and some don't even take them for work. Two-The Swartz safety is also a no go in my book. Hilton Yam says the same. Three-beyond that, my experiences with Kimbers were indicative of every reason I have ever been told not to buy a Kimber (I purchased one before I knew better). Wouldn't feed correctly, eject correctly, chamber had to be reamed to correct size. Went back twice. Then I still had to send it to Nighthawk Custom to get running correctly. The Colt Gov Models I own in 45 and 38 Super run great. Granted, they had reliability packages as part of turning them into custom builds. I'd recommend either spending top dollar on a Wilson Combat or custom build if you can afford it. If not, buy a standard 1911 and wring it out before sending it to someone like ATEI to have a RDS custom milled to your slide. Something like a Colt XSE or Springfield TRP is a good start if you aren't going full custom.
    Ask anybody who owns a Kimber if the company has good customer Service, they will quickly applaud Kimber for fixing their gun 1 maybe 2 maybe 3 times at No Charge. Because it takes 1,2 or 3 times to get them up and running. And I love 1911's but for my first RDS gun, get your favorite plastic wonder IMHO. Or get a Staccato Duo if you have bank.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's typical of most manufacturers it seems-- the person analyzing and correcting the gun is not an experienced or well-trained person, just somebody with a check list. Customer says this is wrong, change that part. Test fire w/ five shots, ship it back.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    It's typical of most manufacturers it seems-- the person analyzing and correcting the gun is not an experienced or well-trained person, just somebody with a check list. Customer says this is wrong, change that part. Test fire w/ five shots, ship it back.
    No, you do not get a Ned Christiansen at Kimber, or most companies for that matter, regardless to where you choose as your fav 1911.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ask anybody who owns a Kimber if the company has good customer Service, they will quickly applaud Kimber for fixing their gun 1 maybe 2 maybe 3 times at No Charge. Because it takes 1,2 or 3 times to get them up and running. And I love 1911's but for my first RDS gun, get your favorite plastic wonder IMHO. Or get a Staccato Duo if you have bank.

PB
    Absolutely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    I must have gotten lucky.
    Zero problems with mine.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple X View Post
    I must have gotten lucky.
    Zero problems with mine.
    That's the interesting part of tolerance stacking and mid-spec parts. It's easily possible to have things work just fine as long as tolerances play nice with each other. The higher and lower end stacking in a design optimized for hand fitting is where you run into issues.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ned, is this different than the CRG 80 series guns or same?

Thanks

PB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I stick with Colt - SA, even the RIA GI I have has been absolutely flawless and I picked it up only because it was far too inexpensive to be a mistake.

Friends don't let friends buy Kimber. High dollar, slick glossy marketing ads designed to lure in the ignorant masses.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My original duty weapon was one of the first TLE-RL's to hit the market. Once I was made aware that this was an issue as I didn't know anything about the Swartz safety I had my smith remove it. I still have that pistol out of nostalgia and it runs like a sewing machine but I would ditch that safety asap. Thanks for the videos.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12