Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mistake buy G17 barrel, what are my coating options?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Mistake buy G17 barrel, what are my coating options?

So last week I bought a new Glock 17 Gen 1-3 barrel from Grey ghost precision for a smoking deal. Well, in my haste, I did not realize that it was an "In the white" barrel, without any coating or treatment. This will be on a bit of a beater 17, but I am not sure where to go from here.

I was thinking possibly an ionbonding? I just don't know much about it, outside of it being a nice looking finish.

I'm Looking for a quality, durable coating, but I really know nothing about barrel finishing options. If anyone can help, or point me in the direction of manufacturers that do this stuff, I am all ears! Thank you
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    So last week I bought a new Glock 17 Gen 1-3 barrel from Grey ghost precision for a smoking deal. Well, in my haste, I did not realize that it was an "In the white" barrel, without any coating or treatment. This will be on a bit of a beater 17, but I am not sure where to go from here.

I was thinking possibly an ionbonding? I just don't know much about it, outside of it being a nice looking finish.

I'm Looking for a quality, durable coating, but I really know nothing about barrel finishing options. If anyone can help, or point me in the direction of manufacturers that do this stuff, I am all ears! Thank you
    Stay cheap, Cold Blue and oil it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Stay cheap, Cold Blue and oil it.
    Cold blue and oil it. I will check out some videos on that and see if I am smart enough to be able to accomplish that. Thanks!
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stainless so more than likely that means cold blue won't take.

If the match grade claims are legit, that means already tight tolerances which won't play well with any finishes that build up.

Feedback Score

Its stainless. And a pistol barrel. Run it as is.

If it must be black, you could have it nitrided.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-20-19 at 06:41.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Check these guys out. I have never worked with them but a bunch of guys from over @ the CZ Forum have and they have had good results. Worth checking out at least.
    https://www.brazenfirearms.com/colle...oating-barrels

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Its stainless. And a pistol barrel. Run it as is.

If it must be black, you could have it nitrided.
    It does not have to be black or even a different color, I was just concerned that this state of stainless might not be good to go to drop in and start shooting right away. If you are saying it is, I will just shoot it as is.

This is what I bough for reference; https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/glo...d-in-the-white

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Usually, “in the white” means unfinished non-stainless steel. I see that these are 416R stainless so you should be fine to run the barrel as is

Feedback Score
    It does not have to be black or even a different color, I was just concerned that this state of stainless might not be good to go to drop in and start shooting right away. If you are saying it is, I will just shoot it as is.

This is what I bough for reference; https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/glo...d-in-the-white
    As gunner blue says, I havnt noticed “in the white” referred to for stainless before (but havent looked for it either)
    I can only imagine its to distinguish from bead blasted or polished, maybe.

KKM barrels are 416 with no treatment and have a great reputation (mine has been great with no noticable excessive wear). 416 is used, untreated for rifle barrels as well, so I would not (did not) hesitate to use it as-is.

Edit- the only other variable I can think of is passivation, but I cant find if that is typical on 416R barrels or not.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-20-19 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    As gunner blue says, I havnt noticed “in the white” referred to for stainless before (but havent looked for it either)
    I can only imagine its to distinguish from bead blasted or polished, maybe.

KKM barrels are 416 with no treatment and have a great reputation (mine has been great with no noticable excessive wear). 416 is used, untreated for rifle barrels as well, so I would not (did not) hesitate to use it as-is.

Edit- the only other variable I can think of is passivation, but I cant find if that is typical on 416R barrels or not.
    Well I might experiment with this barrel then. Run it normally until it starts showing signs of rust, or abnormal wear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast