Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mistake buy G17 barrel, what are my coating options?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    As gunner blue says, I havnt noticed “in the white” referred to for stainless before (but havent looked for it either)
    I can only imagine its to distinguish from bead blasted or polished, maybe.

KKM barrels are 416 with no treatment and have a great reputation (mine has been great with no noticable excessive wear). 416 is used, untreated for rifle barrels as well, so I would not (did not) hesitate to use it as-is.

Edit- the only other variable I can think of is passivation, but I cant find if that is typical on 416R barrels or not.
    Well I might experiment with this barrel then. Run it normally until it starts showing signs of rust, or abnormal wear
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is what I was going off of:

https://greyghostprecision.com/ggp-g...-grade-barrel/

If it was a special run in carbon steel, then still not a biggy since loads and loads of auto pistols have been made using carbon steels barrels without problems.

The Glock recommended 2 drops of lube externally smeared around, plus occasional clean and lube of the vote and chamber should keep everything going fine.

Feedback Score
    Should be fine without a finish. I've been running a lone wolf 416 stainless in my G21 for a while. Its bead blasted, but no coatings have been applied. It looks fine, no rust, normal wear.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Doubt you will have any issues with even minimal care of it. Install it, shoot it and dont look back.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Stay cheap, Cold Blue and oil it.
    I did not know it was stainless. Just keep it lubricated and dry.

Feedback Score
    Colt, S&W and numerous other manufacturers have or are using stainless barrels with no finish applied in their pistols with no issues. Just run it as is.

Feedback Score
    You’ll be just fine with that stainless steel barrel. You’d probably be fine if it was in the white.

This reminds me of a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II that I purchased. After having it for a while, someone pointed out to me that the barrel was unfinished carbon steel. I thought that he didn’t know what he was talking about. After all, I had purchased the stainless model. I looked it up on Kimber’s website which said that the barrel was made from “match grade steel”. My BS meter went off, so I called them. Sure enough, they confirmed that the barrel is unfinished carbon steel. It goes to show that you can’t really tell by looking at a barrel (and you can’t really trust Kimber’s marketing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12