Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Double hearing protection

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Ned Christiansen;2793974]The SureFire Defenders, for me, totally sucked. Totally.

I use these 33dB foamies at about $.20/pair. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/1893

Muffs-- I got some Walker Excels and they were good but I have a warranty issue and cannot get a response from their site where it says "Contact us now! We're here to help! Operators are standing by! Tell us what you think!"

If find that friggin' frustrating-- and common. And insulting. It's enough to steer me off a brand.[/QUOTE

I agree on the foamies. We have them at work heading back into the warehouse and they work great on the range.

If you are looking to replace the Walker electric muffs i have had good luck with Peltor Tactical 300's/ They have a 500 model with bluetooth as well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes, Peltors next fore sure, thanks for the recommendation.

After some weeks and four attempts I finally got a response from Walker. They can't do anything for me unless I call, and I need to have my "proof of purchase" when I call, like... how the hell do I prove I have proof of purchase when I call and anyway, who keeps that any anyway #2, I won these at a match last June, I didn't buy them.

In other news, where the 33dB plugs I get from McM/Carr are $39 for 200, I see Walker offers 32dB plugs for $99 for 200.

Miss Butts, get me the number for Peltor......

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I run the Peltor’s with retro-fit silicone/gel (?) cups.
    Makes a big difference in sealing out noise, but in comfort as well.
    If I have muffs on all afternoon they get pretty uncomfortable without the gel cups.

Plugs and muffs indoors, and I hate shooting ARs indoors.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I use the cheap orange or yellow foamies, with a 33db rating (IIRC).
    The Surefire only has about a 20db rating.

And yes, I muff and plug. It's saved me a few times whem I forgot to put my muffs back on after a target change.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Ops Core Amp + NFMI ear plugs

Worthy investment since it’s your hearing and something you’d use during EVERY range session. 3D sound awareness is amazing.

Feedback Score
    I seldom used to double up on hearing protection but I ALWAYS wore either muffs or plugs for shooting. My dad was deaf from WWII and heavy equipment and I wanted to avoid that. So, I wore muffs or plugs faithfully.
    Then, one night several years ago I was using a sledgehammer to break out a concrete wall for a fire escape in my basement. As I swung the sledgehammer the muff cup lifted away from my head and when I hit the concrete I immediately experienced a massive ringing in my ear. That night I could hardly hear from that ear, other than a loud ringing.
    Since then much of my hearing has returned but I still have the ringing.
    My theory is that the open cup worked as a parabolic reflector to focus the sound of the hammer on my ear. I don’t know how else to explain it. I regret not doubling up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    Ops Core Amp + NFMI ear plugs

Worthy investment since it’s your hearing and something you’d use during EVERY range session. 3D sound awareness is amazing.
    I agree, but mostly because I was able to use Uncle Sugar's money to get mine. You're looking at around $1200 for NFMI muffs and plugs, IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI_Marine View Post
    I agree, but mostly because I was able to use Uncle Sugar's money to get mine. You're looking at around $1200 for NFMI muffs and plugs, IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I'm at $965 shipped for the NFMI connectorized headset + plugs. Expensive but majority on here wouldn't hesitate to spend $1000 to "build" another AR upper that does the same as their other 25 "builds" in the safe.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Price difference is probably because they’re on sale right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123