Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double hearing protection

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Surefire earplug in my right ear comes unseated when I put on earphones and shoot a rifle right handed. If I wear orange Howard Leight 33db earplugs, they stayed seated when doubling up.

We are all built a little differently and have to experiment to find what works for us.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    The Surefire earplug in my right ear comes unseated when I put on earphones and shoot a rifle right handed. If I wear orange Howard Leight 33db earplugs, they stayed seated when doubling up.

We are all built a little differently and have to experiment to find what works for us.
    Yes, and this forum is a good place to share data and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Are you wearing these on their own or under your muffs?

I have HL muffs and wear earplugs (also HL) under the muffs; just wondering if I can do better/get better Db reduction/protection.
    I have not taken them out to the range but am planning to wear them under the muffs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Double hearing protection

I have the filtered SureFire tri-flanges. My main complaint is they are not as easy and fast to put in as standard tri-flanges. I just got fitted for a custom set of in-ear silicon plugs to wear under my sordins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CESwartz07; 12-13-19 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For me, the best ear protection is using Howard-Leight 33db foam plugs, but put in the ears very precisely and well, then Peltor active ear pro on top.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The SureFire Defenders, for me, totally sucked. Totally.

I use these 33dB foamies at about $.20/pair. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/1893

Muffs-- I got some Walker Excels and they were good but I have a warranty issue and cannot get a response from their site where it says "Contact us now! We're here to help! Operators are standing by! Tell us what you think!"

If find that friggin' frustrating-- and common. And insulting. It's enough to steer me off a brand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I use these 33dB foamies at about $.20/pair. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/1893
    Anyone reading, notice 33dB NRR.

The SureFire Defenders: 24dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) with filter caps inserted.

What does 9dB difference equal?

In noise reduction terms a 3dB reduction is actually a 50% reduction in the sound power level of the noise. A reduction of 10dB is an SPL reduction of 90%.
    http://www.sounddeadsteel.com/what-is-a-decibel.html

Go foam young man, go foam! Double up young man, double up! (apologies to Horace Greeley - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_West,_young_man)

The better earplugs and muffs are approximately equal in sound reductions, although earplugs are better for low frequency noise and earmuffs for high frequency noise. Simultaneous use of earplugs and muffs usually adds 10 to 15dB more protection than either used alone. Combined use should be considered when noise exceeds 105 dB.
    http://www.entsc.com/noise-hearing-protection/

My experience is that the foamies, in conjunction with electronic muffs - I use Peltor ProTac Shooters - allows me to hear range commands and beeps. I wear hearing aides, so someone with better hearing should do better with a combo.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They do work well. I'll cheat for every additional dB I can get! Year after year I find myself on the line with 15 guys to my left and 15 to the right, I'm there with plugs and muffs but very often I find my hands are there too trying to keep more noise out. I am not OK with the hearing loss I have already suffered and not willing to lose more if I can help it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well when I win the lottery it will be Ops Core Amp all the way, the ear plugs you wear inside the headset are active also.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/05/17...ommunications/

Additional features of the Ops-Core AMP Communication Headset include optional wire-free, battery-free, Near Field Magnetic Induction (NFMI) Earplugs, which increase the systems NRR to 34dB, while maintaining clear-communication audio and ambient hear through.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Glad to hear these work. I just bought a pair for exact same reason. Have not tried yet.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    What ever you do just double up. I wish I had done that years ago. Now I have tinnitus...most likely from my clubs indoor range I’m thinking as I only started to notice I after shooting there.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast