Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with accurizing a Glock 19

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I would humbly suggest give yourself a week of NO live fire, and VERY intensive, deliberate, thorough dryfire.

Then give it a shot. You might be surprised. I call it going back to the "dryfire drawing board".

Also, don't discount the ammo. Best accuracy happens with best ammo.
    "Dryfire detox" typically solves 90% of my live fire issues. The penny on the front sight (or a casing on the front sight) trick is a great training tool too. When I consciously work on my trigger press, follow through, and trigger reset in dryfire exercises, my group size decreases substantially. +1 on ammunition selection and quality as a factor too, but I agree with Magsz in that mechanically, the gun is more capable than the person handling it in nearly every case.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is a general comment, not directed at anyone:

I don't get all the 'penny on the front sight' recommendations.

In the old days we used pennies on the rib of the revolver barrels near the front sight to do both DA and SA trigger training.

With the Glocks I find it pretty hard to believe someone is balancing a penny or dime on a factory polymer front sight or on a .125 wide Tritium front. A penny laying on the flat surface of the slide as a useful diagnostic? LOL Additionally, you have to rack the slide to practice reset - which means you'd have to balance the coin again.

The 'tricks' that folks use to make the Glock dryfire w/o racking the slide - place a piece of card stock in the ejection port between the barrel and breechface - do not in any way, shape or form replicate the Glock trigger pull - except for the force necessary to overcome the firing pin safety and trigger spring. There is no reset, or most importantly feel of the cruciform - striker interaction. This is why I believe SRT trainers are also a waster of time.

Dryfiring to ingrain proper trigger control can be done seated, with your pistol aimed at a circle on the floor - I use an Ace of Spades blown up 200%. Ensure no ammo in room and make sure everything is empty and clear.

For first shot dryfire - focus on the front sight, press through the slack, then press through the shot. This is important because unless the shooter has this ingrained, they will invariably be low on the first shot, and in a gunfight, the first shot should stop the fight.

For second and subsequent shots, pin the trigger to the rear as you cycle the slide, let the trigger out as you refocus on the front sight, press until the shot breaks, pin the trigger and repeat.

You should be able to see the sight move if it is moving.

Those that disagree with these technique are generally not those who shoot stock Glock triggers, or triggers that are safe for CCW carry; OR they are shooters who send upwards of 10,000 practice rounds a year downrange.

The reason I use the sitting example is because of the experience of a female shooter I spent 30 minutes with. This shooter had come through range with a group that I hadn't worked with as I was doing shotgun. I was assigned to do her first cold bore remedial qual, which she failed 57% if I recall. This was on a Friday, before she went home that weekend I spent about 15 minutes showing her proper grip and coaching her through the dryfire drills I described above. On Monday she returned to the range for what I thought would be her second hour of remedial instruction. She told me she wanted to use her second remedial qual attempt. I asked if she was sure, because if she failed she was through and would have to come completely through firearms again, IF her agency retained her. She said she was good to go and she was, she shot an 89%.

When I asked her what she had done she told me that every time her husband and kids were out of the house she stuck the Ace of Spades on a bulletin board and practiced drawing, finding her front sight and holding focus on it. Then she said she sat down and dry fired making sure her sight didn't move. She estimated 1/2 on draw and about 2 hour dryfiring in 10 to 15 minute segments. Shit works if you actually take the time to do it. In her case I was glad it worked, she worked for a small to medium-sized agency and went on to have a stellar career with the largest agency in our state.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    This is a general comment, not directed at anyone:

I don't get all the 'penny on the front sight' recommendations.

In the old days we used pennies on the rib of the revolver barrels near the front sight to do both DA and SA trigger training.

With the Glocks I find it pretty hard to believe someone is balancing a penny or dime on a factory polymer front sight or on a .125 wide Tritium front. A penny laying on the flat surface of the slide as a useful diagnostic? LOL Additionally, you have to rack the slide to practice reset - which means you'd have to balance the coin again.

The 'tricks' that folks use to make the Glock dryfire w/o racking the slide - place a piece of card stock in the ejection port between the barrel and breechface - do not in any way, shape or form replicate the Glock trigger pull - except for the force necessary to overcome the firing pin safety and trigger spring. There is no reset, or most importantly feel of the cruciform - striker interaction. This is why I believe SRT trainers are also a waster of time.

Dryfiring to ingrain proper trigger control can be done seated, with your pistol aimed at a circle on the floor - I use an Ace of Spades blown up 200%. Ensure no ammo in room and make sure everything is empty and clear.

For first shot dryfire - focus on the front sight, press through the slack, then press through the shot. This is important because unless the shooter has this ingrained, they will invariably be low on the first shot, and in a gunfight, the first shot should stop the fight.

For second and subsequent shots, pin the trigger to the rear as you cycle the slide, let the trigger out as you refocus on the front sight, press until the shot breaks, pin the trigger and repeat.

You should be able to see the sight move if it is moving.

Those that disagree with these technique are generally not those who shoot stock Glock triggers, or triggers that are safe for CCW carry; OR they are shooters who send upwards of 10,000 practice rounds a year downrange.

The reason I use the sitting example is because of the experience of a female shooter I spent 30 minutes with. This shooter had come through range with a group that I hadn't worked with as I was doing shotgun. I was assigned to do her first cold bore remedial qual, which she failed 57% if I recall. This was on a Friday, before she went home that weekend I spent about 15 minutes showing her proper grip and coaching her through the dryfire drills I described above. On Monday she returned to the range for what I thought would be her second hour of remedial instruction. She told me she wanted to use her second remedial qual attempt. I asked if she was sure, because if she failed she was through and would have to come completely through firearms again, IF her agency retained her. She said she was good to go and she was, she shot an 89%.

When I asked her what she had done she told me that every time her husband and kids were out of the house she stuck the Ace of Spades on a bulletin board and practiced drawing, finding her front sight and holding focus on it. Then she said she sat down and dry fired making sure her sight didn't move. She estimated 1/2 on draw and about 2 hour dryfiring in 10 to 15 minute segments. Shit works if you actually take the time to do it. In her case I was glad it worked, she worked for a small to medium-sized agency and went on to have a stellar career with the largest agency in our state.
    Nothing you said was “wrong”, but its limited imo.
    Im one of the “10,000 rds/yr” guys.

Pinning the trigger will get you only so far.

Imo, dry fire practice should be slamming the trigger back with immediate reset (relaxation of trigger finger- you dont need real reset) and figure out how to do it and keep the sight steady. I use an rds so i dont balance stuff.

You can also install a ny trigger in a 2nd gun and use the zip-tie in the slide trick to get close to a stock trigger.

I suggest people use the same trigger press (method, not speed) for 50yd targets and 5-foot targets. Consistency is accuracy. The press/reset should never change, just the speed of the press IMO. I’ve shot my best groups without the bang-click during experimentation and wont go back. I only use stock glock stuff (- connector is the only mod)

The method Ive found produces the fastest gains is to set a personal accuracy goal, achieve it, then learn to replicate it at speed. Then revisit accuracy, then hit new standard at speed, repeat. Its a cyclical process.

For max accuracy, I use a smooth, but quick & deliberate press with immediate reset. Reset is the same despite distance, only the press speed varies. Just my experience/opinion. Ymmv.

There are some higher level shooters who stage the trigger- doesnt work for me. Some other high-level shooters pull all the way through like I do. Everyone needs to experiment to find what they can do the most consistently. This will also evolve over time, so you need to constantly push the limits, and experiment... in cycles.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-04-19 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Nothing you said was “wrong”, but its limited imo.
    Im one of the “10,000 rds/yr” guys.

Pinning the trigger will get you only so far.
    And I get that - as I said, guys that shoot 10,000 rounds a year are doing it for a reason other than self-defense or range play. What works for them (you) will likely not work for someone who is going to shoot 1,000 rounds a year.

Regarding pinning the trigger, don't make too much of it, pinning is simply to allow you to reset the trigger after you cycle the action in dry-fire. Sure shooters will initially pin/reset/press more deliberately during live-fire, as they become more accomplished it is press/reset/press. This is where they end up - for max accuracy, I use a smooth, but quick & deliberate press with immediate reset. Reset is the same despite distance, only the press speed varies. Just my experience/opinion. Ymmv.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The trick to a Glock is treating the trigger like a shorter double action and not a 1911.

Also, lots of dry fire, and some with a penny set on the front sight.
    I agree. I shoot both Glocks and 1911s and have to press the trigger differently when switching between the two weapons. I manipulate the Glock trigger like a revolver when shooting and have had success with the technique. Decent groups at 100 meters are achievable with the Glock 19 and decent ammunition.

Dry fire drills are a great way to improve trigger control skills. I highly recommend dime drills to students when teaching a basic pistol skills course.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just got out of the P7 because it wasn’t really for me. The squeeze cock is cool and it is accurate but it has a heel release and it gets hot.

I just don’t have time for it.

You can get aftermarket barrels and I thought about it but I’m not doing precision shooting.

If I can get a respectable COM print on an IPSC at 50 yards or a B8 target then I dont care

If you want to invest in something that match grade you probably want a revolver or a 1911

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    Accurizing Glock 19s
    Taking my time at just 25 feet, offhand, my 11 year old STI 1911 9mm will put 10 rounds touching.
    The best I can do with Glock 19s are sloppy groups of 3 or 3 ½ inches +.

The internals are a mix of favored parts. The trigger take up is clean, the break is light as well as the reset crisp. Sights are Trijicon HDs. All are OEM polished Gen 3 factory triggers and the barrels are factory. I tried a KKM barrel, there was no clear improvement. Spoke to KKM and they told me I would only see tighter groups with high end ammo. I shoot generally inexpensive 124 Arguillo or S&B.
    I understand a Glock is not made for bullseye shooting but I should be able to do better.

All guns are Gen 4. 2nd hand I am told that Gen 5s are more accurate, but I am invested in the 4 series and like the finger grooves.
    Looking for general suggestions specific to the Glocks that I can try out.
    thx
    jon
    I mean no disrespect but I recommend just bringing 500 rounds with you, and work on your technique. I do that with newly acquired guns. I continue shooting until I’m satisfied with my session. 7-10-15 on paper (sometimes 12 yards), and then I go for hitting steel at 25 yards. Except the large magnums (44 Mag and up) which I prefer At 50 yards because I don’t appreciate splatter back.

I use 3” stickers on an IDPA target and can put all into that at 12 yards. No Mods on a Glock 19 Generation 4 or a Glock 19, Gen 5. I can do that with any of my other 11 Glock pistols or my CZ pistols.

That CZ 75 SP-01 was out of the holster with a split time of 0.45 sec, with first shot DA and second single action.

That 500 Magnum was shot in double action, quicker than 0.8 sec between shots on the bear head.

One thing I recommend to people is take up the Pre travel on a Glock trigger. Your groups will tighten up better, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I highly recommend dime drills to students when teaching a basic pistol skills course.
    How do you do your dime drills, maybe I'm missing something.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    How do you do your dime drills, maybe I'm missing something.
    Put a dime on top of the slide, pull the trigger without making the dime fall off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    Put a dime on top of the slide, pull the trigger without making the dime fall off.
    Seriously, how hard do you have to be jerking/lunging into the shot before the dime falls off the Glock slide which is around, 1.10 inches wide?

I just put a dime on the slide and yanked the trigger so hard the front sight disappeared - dime still there.

Like I said, the coin on the slide is not much use in a striker fired pistol. I could see it on a DA/SA, maybe: I just opened the safe and did the deal with my CZ75 - criminitly, I was yanking the DA pull all over the place, dime still there.

Now, if you guys are talking live-fire, I'm impressed.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast