Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hello, new old guy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    After having used the Magpul MBUS polymer rear sight for a couple of years, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Very inconsistent and wouldn't hold zero.
    Well, that doesn’t sound good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    The Magpuls are a BACKUP sight and not a primary sight. The Truglow is a Walmart special dot sight. There are much better sights out there but they will cost a bunch more. The last I knew the PX's were not selling any firearms at all. It's good to see they are back in the business. Personally, I would go with a 30MM 1-4 scope with an illuminated reticle especially if you are over 60 like me. The Aero Precision scope mounts are the bomb and get the scope at he right height.

kwg
    The truglo is going back tomorrow, bur the romeo and holoson’s recommended cost less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    They aren’t super cheap like the foldable Magpul MBUS set, but if you considered iron sights as a more permanent secondary sighting system, you could run Daniel Defense front and rear iron sights with a red dot (“RDS”). There will probably be some solid sales on the DD set in the next week. You could also use them as your primary sights while saving up for a nicer RDS.
    Just an idea, particularly if you don’t want to drop a few hundred $$ on decent LPVO.
    I went ahead and ordered the magpulls earlier.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toltepequeño View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the magpulls earlier.

Thanks
    The MAGPUL MBUSs will serve you well. I would not let one person's experience with them sway you. They would not be recommended by many if they were not worth having. In addition, Colt and a few others use them on some of their factory ARs.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    The Magpuls are a BACKUP sight and not a primary sight.
    If back-up sights aren't important enough to bother getting sights that hold zero, why bother with back-up sights at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    The MAGPUL MBUSs will serve you well. I would not let one person's experience with them sway you. They would not be recommended by many if they were not worth having. In addition, Colt and a few others use them on some of their factory ARs.
    I used the MBUS rear sight as a primary until I got the H1, then used it as a back up. It wouldn't hold zero. If something doesn't work, I don't care who recommends what or which company uses them on their rifles.

The flip side is, you don't have to take my word on it. Try them yourself. You won't know until you shoot your AR. Either they work for you or they won't.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-22-19 at 22:02.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Having been disappointed by the fact that I apparently have astigmatism, I still like red dots (not a fan of the LPVO scopes, never used one but the size/weight is a turn-off). Just remember to focus on the CENTER, bigger dot, not the little "tail" that astigmatism gives you!
    Have you every tried an etched reticle such as the Vortex Spitfire, Burris AR-1X (I hate the reticle on this one, it is too 'busy') or the Burris AR-332 (3 power)?

I really like them, the Burris AR-332 was problematic for me close-in until I began running with the front cover down - not ideal, but it doesn't reside on my HD rifle.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Yes, they will be here in a few days. Will see ehat my experience is with an open mind.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The flip side is, you don't have to take my word on it. Try them yourself. You won't know until you shoot your AR. Either they work for you or they won't.
    I already had them coming thanks to a son, but absolutely appreciate your experience and comments. Will see how they work for me.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I will throw in another perspective on the MBUS. I have a set of MBUS I use as a placeholder if I am trying a build. They will get you on target, but are hard to shoot precisely due to, in my opinion, the thickness of the rear sight. I still spend a bit of time behind iron sights, and I believe that the thicker rear makes it shadowy and therefore harder for the eye to get a crisp focus on the front sight by restricting light to your eye. Can I hit steel at 200? Yes. Can I easily shoot with it without my eye fatiguing? No.

Give them a try and see what you think. Absolutely nothing wrong with using them as backups to a better primary sight such as red dot sight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I will throw in another perspective on the MBUS. I have a set of MBUS I use as a placeholder if I am trying a build. They will get you on target, but are hard to shoot precisely due to, in my opinion, the thickness of the rear sight. I still spend a bit of time behind iron sights, and I believe that the thicker rear makes it shadowy and therefore harder for the eye to get a crisp focus on the front sight by restricting light to your eye. Can I hit steel at 200? Yes. Can I easily shoot with it without my eye fatiguing? No.

Give them a try and see what you think. Absolutely nothing wrong with using them as backups to a better primary sight such as red dot sight.
    Ok, will do and thank you.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mistwolf isn't the only person to experience them not holding zero. I had one lose zero with no visible movement according to the witness marks. The set that came with my M&P 15-22 won't hold zero either. There is 1/16" side to side movement or more on the front sight. The MBUS Pro's are much better and my preferred BUIS, but they're 3 times the cost of a set of the plastic MBUS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Have you every tried an etched reticle such as the Vortex Spitfire, Burris AR-1X (I hate the reticle on this one, it is too 'busy') or the Burris AR-332 (3 power)?

I really like them, the Burris AR-332 was problematic for me close-in until I began running with the front cover down - not ideal, but it doesn't reside on my HD rifle.
    Have to look at one of those.....off to Google.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Ok , picked up the rifle. I also returned the sight.

Will order a better one on 16 Dec when I can use the 60.00 coupon.

Is the Romeo 7 worth trying for?

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/sig-sauer-romeo7-sight-1x30mm/8226297
    Last edited by Toltepequeño; 11-23-19 at 17:03.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast