Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the most important training you've received?

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1) In general - Growing up on the south side of Detroit in the 60s.

2) Shooting skills learned at Gunsite, Blackwater, and several other tactical based schools all physically improved markedly after the Suarez International Red Dot Class. Technological cheating! Love it:)

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, if we are going to mention non-firearm training...I'd say the most important "training" I had was my college degree and my Masters degree followed by,post-graduate professional degrees and ongoing continuing education which make it possible for me to have a successful and very lucrative career in the USA, so I can buy...gun stuff.

But some of the training I enjoyed the most and have found most practical and useful are the combat medic courses and refreshers I've taken.
    Last edited by CAMagnussen; 11-30-19 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    I took some week long class on human behavior and deception that was amazing. Wish I could remember the instructor and actual course title because it was like Reid, statement analysis, and Tony Robbins self help all wrapped up into a one. The amount of interaction we had was awesome.

It goes back to that parallel about dog training, it's about training the human. Behavior is much the same that your hair stands on end or you get that sinking feeling when someone is about to fight or flee. There are indicators and it's about being able to accurately testify to that.

It has helped dealing with all sorts of people at and out of work. The guy also touched on investing and I got to pick his brain on a break and it was very good financial advice. Wish college was more like that, you know, practical use information.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Budget View Post
    It has helped dealing with all sorts of people at and out of work. The guy also touched on investing and I got to pick his brain on a break and it was very good financial advice. Wish college was more like that, you know, practical use information.
    After the lower elementary grades education is mostly driven by information rather than its application and context. Some of the info-centric methods are necessary, but not nearly the volume we get.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Thread Drift warning:

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    After the lower elementary grades education is mostly driven by information rather than its application and context. Some of the info-centric methods are necessary, but not nearly the volume we get.
    I agree completely, my SIL is a teacher and we talk about this all the time. It also seems like our schools reward students who excel and punish those who need help. To get As, all I really had to do was show up, convert O2 to CO2, do the assignments, and the test material was right from the homework. Not everyone is interested or even able to memorize dates and equations. Seems education is an area we really do fall behind, but that is just my perception.

OT Question:
    Anyone ever take a professional development/leadership class? I was recommended to go to one by my boss and I'm considering it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thread Drift warning:

OT Question:
    Anyone ever take a professional development/leadership class? I was recommended to go to one by my boss and I'm considering it.
    Lots of them. What class are you considering?

And I'd recommend starting a new thread, I think you would get more thread viewers and applicable advice that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    1) ...and several other tactical based schools all physically improved markedly after the Suarez International Red Dot Class. Technological cheating! Love it

geezer john
    I've often wondered about Suarez. The first time I looked into someone who claimed to be affiliated, it looked like one of those "I was taught by the best instructor ever, and you'll never need to train under anyone else!" type of things.

I took some week long class on human behavior and deception that was amazing. Wish I could remember the instructor and actual course title because it was like Reid, statement analysis, and Tony Robbins self help all wrapped up into a one. The amount of interaction we had was awesome.

It goes back to that parallel about dog training, it's about training the human. Behavior is much the same that your hair stands on end or you get that sinking feeling when someone is about to fight or flee. There are indicators and it's about being able to accurately testify to that.

That's some of the best and favorite training of mine as well. Courses I took in the military piqued my interest initially, then I did more in college, LE, and other instructors. It's quite an interesting field of study and training.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Most people are lazy and ritual/habit driven.

Feedback Score
    Most practical training I would say are the multiple IT /Excel/Photoshop/Python/Java and Leica/Nikon photo school courses... all were just fun and practical. Of course the assorted TCCC/Defoor/Vicker/TMACS classes were great but the photo/IT were the best. And,yes, I know apples and oranges comparison.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    Most practical training I would say are the multiple IT /Excel/Photoshop/Python/Java and Leica/Nikon photo school courses... all were just fun and practical. Of course the assorted TCCC/Defoor/Vicker/TMACS classes were great but the photo/IT were the best. And,yes, I know apples and oranges comparison.
    I would not disagree at all. If you think about it, you are much more likely to need first aid than gun skills.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast